Agree or disagree?

I recently read Percy Jackson and the Olympians; The Lightening Thief, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone to my six year old. Even though I explained to him that these books are fiction (not real) he insists that Poseidon and Zeus are real, as is all kinds of magic. He even went so far as to insist that I search the internet to try and find him a school where he could go to learn magic.

Clearly children just do not have the capacity to judge reality from fiction, no matter how much an adult tries to explain it.

And this is why I think it is wrong to raise children in religion. They just are not capable to judge for themselves what they believe, and will pretty much go along with whatever they hear, read, or are told. And after so many years of being told to believe with out questioning, it is so hard-wired into them, that they no longer want to question it. It's so sad.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 7:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I fully agree with you... I think it's fine to expose children to religion, as long as you teach them about ALL religions out there, and let them make up their own minds when they're older what, if any, religion to follow.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree. Religion is not something a child can fully grasp,so we shouldn't be making the decision for them.Let them find it(or not) on their own
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't know, some would say that children see the truth much more clearly than we do. Maybe magic really does exist, we as adults are just so overwhelmed with our troubles and responsibilities than we can't see it anymore.

My mother says that when she was a small child she used to see and hear "little people" in her house, you know like gnomes or something. Well she told her mom, and of course she didn't believe her. Well, her family is still in contact with the people who now live in that same house. They told my grandma that they've been seeing little people sometimes. Come to find out all of my mom's brothers and sisters say now that they also saw these little people when they were children but just never spoke up about it. Mmmmm...

You probably think my story is crazy but I'm just offering a different perspective.... perhaps it isn't religion or the supernatural that makes us blind, but everyday life.
    Anonymous

• I neither agree nor disagree. I don't think it's a problem as long as they are allowed to explore other options as well, if they wish to. It's when they are forbidden from learning for themselves and filled with falsehoods of other beliefs to keep them in a specific one that it becomes an issue.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I never tell my children what they should, or shouldn't believe. I may tell them what I believe, if they ask, but I would never tell them they are wrong for believing something. I didn't tell my son that magic isn't real, just that the book we read was fiction, and there was no school I could send him to learn spells (I did do an internet search for him, just in case).
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I disagree, because there are so many people on this site alone that were raised in a religious home and they are no longer that religion.

Anonymous

• Your reasoning is really upsurd. Since your child can't judge reality from fiction I guess you also decided to stop reading any fiction books to him from now on, if you are following your line of reasoning about religion.

I do not believe my religious beliefs are fiction so I don't share your views anyway but your logic doesn't follow either.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I never tell my children what they should, or shouldn't believe. I may tell them what I believe, if they ask, but I would never tell them they are wrong for believing something.

~~~~~

I agree with this in that I wouldn't tell my children they are wrong, but I explain what I believe and why, this doesn't mean they need to be raised out side of any religion. You can ask questions and still be raised in a religious faith.  Religion has been a great way for our family to start discussions and my kids ask all kinds of questions based on what they hear and read through our religious life.  I think it is wrong and a stereotype on your part that you feel all or most people raising their children with in a particular faith don't allow children to explore their own beliefs or ask questions about the world.  My kids read everything and are allowed (even encouraged) to read about other beliefs. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I would have to disagree- and this is why: every single kid movie/show teaches children about other people's faith. Tinkerbell teaches kids that fairies[ and the first known belief in fairies were that they are evil spirits] change the seasons[ in my faith Yahweh changes seasons], all the magical shows such as the ones you describe are against Yahweh. Magic and sorcerers and witches especially. Dragons are taught to be nice big mythical creatures when in the bible they are a description of the devil. Every single show that is not of my faith teaches against it, so I have to teach her about Yahweh [not that I wouldn't anyhow.] Shows impress the celebration of birthdays and Christmas by animals and the bible warns us about this very thing! 1 Timothy 4:7 KJV. Fable means: HERE Yahweh bless

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree to an extent. I do not think children are old enough to understand religion. A lot of adults don't even understand it. Though I do believe they may be able to see things we can't whether it be magic or angels, imagined or real. However I believe they should be able to realise fiction from fact when pointed out. My kids are 3 and 4 1/2 they have seen these movies and love them, but they will tell you it is make believe. My oldest will even explain to you that mythology was a practised religion and for some still is though for most it is make believe and fun to imagine. I taught my kids the difference from the time they could talk. When ever they ask a question I answer it honestly to the best of my ability. I also used to watch horror flick starting at 2 1/2 I never had bad dreams and always knew it was fake. So they can understand real from not, but religion is a little confusing at first for every one.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010