i really need advice please. did the landlord steal my money?

ok. im 20 years old just signed a lease for my first home. its a 2 family house downstairs.. i went to sign the lease today and after i signed it i left.. i forgot to ask for a copy of the lease{ i know that was dumb} then he never asked for my i.d i could be anybody. then i gave him the check. and he said he will give me the keys when i get the electric and gas turned on. so i call the gas company and i told them the landlords name and the lady said the house was listed under another name not the name that the landlord gave me. but they are still gona turn the gas on. im terrified that this is fraud i know i really messed up but i never did any of this before and i was excited and wasnt thinking right. what do you think. please dont call me dumb or stupid or make me feel worse cause i already feel like crap.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Do you have the landlords number? Give him a call.Some people have landlords take care of thier property for them. So it is not always owned by the landlord.
    Call him and tell him you need a copy of the lease to be able to get your utilities on. If he doesnt return your calls or get the lease to you right away and you still feel funny about the situation, cancel your check before he cashes it. Try to get hold of him tonight if you can,before he can get to a bank by tomorrow.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• CANCEL YOUR CHECK. I'm a manager, and we never ask for the gas and electric to be turned on before we give you the keys. as soon as you signed the lease you should have recieved the keys. Call your "landlord" up and ask to meet with him again. Unless you know where he lives, and go to where he lives and demand everything.
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry this happened to you.It could be that it is still in the previous renters name. Do you have a phone number to contact the landlord?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• First of all CONGRATULATIONS!! I bet ur really excited.The name the gas company might have is the last people that lived in the house not the landlord. Give him a call & explain that u want come by tommorow & get a copy of the lease.It just might all be a misunderstanding.Good Luck!!Let us know what happens.
    robin2708

Answer by robin2708 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Id contact the cops and tell them you think you may have been dooped.
    Anonymous

• As soon as you signed the lease & paid your deposit & first months rent, you should have the keys.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2010