My son was born 7lbs11oz. He is 9 weeks today and now weighs 13lbs! He's mainly breastfed and has formula a few times a week. Everyone says he's huge and that he looks way older. Should I be concerned that he's practically doubled his birthweight when babies generally don't do that until they're 6 months?

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 8:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No You don't go by what other babies do, My daughter gained weight fast too. YOu can't do anything about it anyways. You can't put a baby on a diet.
    Anonymous

• don't worry! all babies grow at different rates. his growth may slow down later.
    congrats on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. All of my kids doubled their birth weight by the time they were 2 months, and they were EBF.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If he was breastfed only? No.

But since you are also giving formula I would look for a Dr. that is also an IBLC or has one on staff. You can feed a baby too much formula.
    Anonymous

• That's just an average that includes preemies and everything. Babiesdon't eat if they aren't hungry. You're doing fine mama!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Every baby is different. My daughter had trouble gaining weight and now at 7 months she is at 95th precentil for weight and height, so it changes. Alot of times they go through spurts where they gain alot, then they gain only alittle. Dont worry, speak to your doctor, and Im sure its fine. :)
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• no my baby did the same thing he has slowed down considerably now and is a few days from 6 months he weighs 19lbs 26 inches he is a big boy and he looks like he should be walking lol but it's normal
    Anonymous

• My son was 7lbs even when he was born now he is almost 19 and in size 12-18mo clothes. ~I wouldn't worry about it. If were all the same we wouldn't be human. Congrats on having such a healthy kiddo.
    Brittenge3693

Answer by Brittenge3693 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010