Change you can believe in? New wiretapping strategies in the age of Obama?

Amid all the furor over the Bush administration’s warrantless wiretapping program a few years ago, a mini-revolt was brewing over another type of federal snooping that was getting no public attention at all. Federal prosecutors were seeking what seemed to be unusually sensitive records: internal data from telecommunications companies that showed the locations of their customers’ cell phones—sometimes in real time, sometimes after the fact. The prosecutors said they needed the records to trace the movements of suspected drug traffickers, human smugglers, even corrupt public officials. But many federal magistrates—whose job is to sign off on search warrants and handle other routine court duties—were spooked by the requests. Some in New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas balked. Prosecutors “were using the cell phone as a surreptitious tracking device,” said Stephen W. Smith, a federal magistrate in Houston. “

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ‘What is the legal authority for this? What is the legal standard for getting this information?’

Those questions are now at the core of a constitutional clash between President Obama’s Justice Department and civil libertarians alarmed by what they see as the government’s relentless intrusion into the private lives of citizens. There are numerous other fronts in the privacy wars—about the content of e-mails, for instance, and access to bank records and credit-card transactions. The Feds now can quietly get all that information. But cell-phone tracking is among the more unsettling forms of government surveillance, conjuring up Orwellian images of Big Brother secretly following your movements through the small device in your pocket.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/233916
    Anonymous

• so much for the land of the free huh? our government seems to become more communist by the day
    Anonymous

• Why were you not complaining during the Bush admin? Or were you a little baaa baaaa sheep who decided it was okay because you had "nothing to hide".
    Anonymous

• Anon :48, I'm confused. Were you complaining during the Bush administration but you aren't complaining now,

OR

You didn't complain during the Bush administration and you aren't complaining now,

OR

You complained then and now.

I for one fall in the 3rd category. I had issues with it during the Bush administration, and apparently the Obama administration is taking it to new lengths.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Why were you not complaining during the Bush admin? Or were you a little baaa baaaa sheep who decided it was okay because you had "nothing to hide". ^^^^^

Exactly!!!

Anonymous

• OP here. How do you know I wasn't complaining during BUSH? I voted for Nadar in 08.
    Anonymous

• Does posting anon effect your ability to read? In case you didn't notice, my answer was: I complained then, I am complaining now.

Sheeh!

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2010