What would you tell your friend...?

She asked if she could use our truck to pick up some gardening stuff and I said "sure!" before I thought about the fact that my normally generous husband probably wouldn't loan out "his" truck. (It's nothing fancy, an old dodge we got for $2300.) So when I asked him he said, "You gotta understand, a man just doesn't lend out his truck to some woman." OUCH! Ok i realize maybe alot (most?) men would feel this way, but seriously, how sexist is that? I don't like making my husband look bad, but I don't really feel like covering for him on this one. Or should I tell him he can let her use it or tell her himself how sexist he is??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• I borrow our "guy" friends pickup all the time... He doesn't go along, and he doesn't care how long we have it. We let him use our Range Rover, or Jeep if he needs a vehicle. That's what friends do, or at least I thought so....
    I agree with mrsjonzy, he should go with her if he's so worried about his truckie poo...lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• He's just being a guy they are dumb. lol Tell him you already told her yes and don't wanna go back on your word. If he doesn't want her to drive it then tell him to go help her haul her stuff.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My SO is the same way about his truck. Tho my sister has a bad track record with accidents so he doesn't want her anywhere near his truck or she'll curse it! Lol. He will let his mom drive it tho but she's not comfortable behind the wheel cuz it sits so high. My SO will use the truck to help people but he drives it and moves whatever it is that needs to be moved. I honestly don't think anything of it. It's something that's his so he should have a say so on who can use it.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 8:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• yeah, tell him to help her with her gardening stuff.
    Anonymous

• One of the simple joys in my life is that all the vehicles that might potentially get loaned to anyone from our house belong to the most generous person in our house, not the one most likely to say 'no' to virtually any question without thinking about it for four seconds.

If it's his truck, it's his decision (or it's not *really* his truck, right?) In that case, the words you're looking for are something like, 'I was so enthusiastic about supporting you, I forgot that the truck isn't mine to loan. You'll have to ask him.' (then, he can look like a prat without your help!)

If the truck is 'ours', hand her the keys, have a private laugh at your husband's silliness and don't mention it to your friend. Someday your husband will grow out of his ego.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i agree with lindacelment, but i wouldn't lend anyone my car, i would just help her, cuz if they get in a wreck insurance will not cover it.
    Anonymous

• I would tell him that if he's not going to lend it to her he needs to go with her, pick it up whatever she needs and be her muscle since he's such a manly man.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010