Is it true that if as a child you have been diagnose with a mental disorder such as...

ADD or ADDHD or Depression,Bipolar or anything of that nature and have been prescribed medication, you can NOT join any type of military when you get older?
I have been told this by my brother who is now in his 20's and was diagnosed with ADD when he was a kid but got off the medication and functioned well after he turned 16.
Does anyone know anything about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• You arent allowed to, you can get in with a waiver. But it is your choice to tell them. They normally will not know, usually they only find out with they do a background check for a security clearance. I would say this though, the military is hard. It is more mentally tough, than physically. I do believe if you have emotional problems before you join, they will worsen with the stress of the military. But while you are in, you cannot be on a mood stabliizer. That is true. Husband is AD Army and we have a friend who is getting a discharge because of PTSD and depression.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You can, you just need waivers.
    Anonymous

• No they can't. You can't even join i fyou have had depression and have been on meds before.
    They may over look it if it has been a long time but odds are no.
    I know I was told ( back in high school0 That if I went 3 years with out an inhaler I could join.
    I didn't need it anymore but I did have to use it once during allergy season so that blew it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Thats really something. The way doctors seem to push the medcation on parents to give to thier kids and they are so quick to diagnose a childs hyperness as ADD. They should be required by law to explain this to the parents before hand and have the parents sign a paper acknowledging that they have been told. I don't think its fair for these kids thath want to grow up and be in the military ,come to find out that when they were a kid and acted up a little and was diagnosed with something and it changes thier future forever.
    Anonymous

• No it's not true. But then again would you want him to join. I have a friend that lost her son in the army. They took him even though they knew he had a history of bipolar and depression. He ended up killing himself in Iraq. Now she is heading up a group of moms who are fighting to keep anyone with mental illness out of the military.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• my brother (whos 22 now) had ADHD when he was younger and was on meds for a little bit. last year he went to the army with no problems but he did get sent out because he has really bad allergies and he didnt tell them. so i dont no if he had to tell them about his childhood ADHD or not...
    Anonymous

• Mrs.Owen, you were told that because your recruiter was lazy and didn't want to do the paperwork. I was in with one guy who had at one point had a major coke problem, two that had done every drug known to man, my husband had a history of depression when he went in, and there are a ton of others. The difference? Their recruiters did the paperwork to get the waivers to get them in.
    Anonymous

• My husband was diagnosed at age 12 with ADD by a psychologist. He took Ritalin for 2 years (from age 12-14). He joined the army when he was 20. The recruiter explained that since he had been off of Ritalin for so long that he would not need a waiver. He just finished 8 years this past January. It really depends on the situation of the individual person.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have a severe anxiety disorder - I was on Paxil for the longest time ... when I was 21 I joined the Navy... didn't need any waivers as I'd been off the paxil and panic-attack free for about 4 years. Go figure, my anxiety acted up while in Basic and after passing out during a panic attack I spent 7 hours in REU (the psychologist) and they got my seperation papers ready. 2 weeks later I was headed home. Since then I have them more frequently and am considering getting back on meds to make life easier to deal with. Its no fun when you start seeing spots, feel sick and your heart races at 200bpm.
    Anonymous