Sleep Training?

My baby is 7 mo. old and while I enjoy rocking and cuddling my baby to sleep, we don't enjoy doing several times a night when she wakes up. I'm not sure why some nights she sleeps through the night and others she will wake up several times. I feel really bad about letting her cry for very long. How should I handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• co-sleep (if you can safely- there are add-ons to beds to help with this as well), put crib in your room so you are closer & dont have to walk so far. Our room is small but we managed to fit our bed, crib, rocking chair, dresser in our room just fine.. but we co-slept & found we all got the most sleep this way.. she was nursed so by 7mo dd nursed while i was still 1/2 awake and i didnt have to move
    As tough as it is getting up all the time its part of being a mom... dont plan on a good nights sleep until child is 3.. or 4...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You can also check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. But sounds like you're doing VERY well if she sleeps all night some nights...that's less common than many people believe.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I actually go in a check on my LO when she wakes the first time in the night and it is usually within the first 2 hours after bed. After that I let her figure it out and if she is crying for more than 5 min then I go check. There is nothing wrong with letting them whine and cry for a few minutes. They have to figure out how to soothe themselves back to sleep. I would honestly leave her alone and see if she can get herself back to sleep on her own.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Teething. growth spurts. separation anxiety. new milestones learned. daylight savings... all can cause wakings. Babies sleeps patterns aren't fully mature on averageuntil age 3-4. there will always be sleepless nights and restful nights.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010