my 5 yr son still wets the bed any advice?

i think its because he is such a heavy sleeper...should i start gettin him up in the middle of the night to go potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• underjams....my 6 1/2 year old does too...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• op here
    we use pull ups but was hoping to get out of those soon.
    Anonymous

• You could try waking him at night to go. But really, this happens to a lot of kids.You can buy the overnight pull ups and just save the bed. He won't wet it for forever. He'll out grow it. I didn't out grow bedwetting until I was 12!
    Anonymous

• have you discussed this with his dr.? they make alarms for sheets that will wake him up at the first sign of wetness.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• don't give any liquids after 6:00pm and make sure he goes before he gets in bed. Be patient. His bladder is still small and it does take some time to adjust.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• This could go on for a few more years. It is not a big deal. Keep the pull-ups handy and he will grow out of it. But only when his body and mind are ready. You would be suprised to know how many kids use pull ups well past age 6.
    MommyId

Answer by MommyId at 9:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Doctor. I know. Sounds lame. But seriously....you never know. My son wets his bed every single night. Has to have a pullup and it is filled with urine. Super soaker at night. Many children who have sleep apnea also are chronic bed wetters. There are also other easily treated issues that will eliminate night time elimination in the pants and bed. Bed wetting can be a symptom not the actual problem. Look for other things during his sleeping time: does he snore? Does he drool a lot while sleeping? Does he seem to be more congested at night? When he wakes in the morning does he appear to not be well rested? Is he tired during the day at all? There is a list that can go on and on to rule out possible other issues and causes of night time bed wetting. Or it could be he is just not ready yet to make it through the night to recognize the sensation of having to urininate. A consult with his doctor should help.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Ok I'll second the doctor too. Just to make sure there's no underlying issue my dd had a narrowed urethral tube and was unable to empty her bladder completely leading to several accidents. It took a simple surgery to correct it, but she's been dry ever since. It's not always something psychological, so make sure it's not something physical preventing him from staying dry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2010