I need some honest advice on this..

To make a very long story short.. MY parents were buying my Father in laws house, well bcuz my FIL is now passed, My Dh and I own the house. Meaning my parents are now paying us.. with that being said here is my problem...

MY father works seasonal and has yet to go back to work, so right now my parents are living off his unemployment. They have been very late on paying us since JAN..bcuz one reason or another. I have been very understanding, but now its getting to were its putting my Dh and I in a bind. For now we depend on it bcuz I am not working, going to school, have a 2yr old and one on the way. AND here's the Kicker. My mom informed me that she is FLYING down to FL in June to see my borthers baby be born. I was mad to say the least. Am I wrong for being mad??
I need advice on telling them they really need to cath up AND pay us ON TIME from now on cuz the baby is due in a few weeks! please help me..please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, youre not wrong for being mad. But I dont know what you would do. Its a tough situation when it comes to family and money. You're either going to have to bite your tongue or buckle down on them. Explain the situation,how you feel and where you stand and hopefully they will pull it together and get you guys paid up.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Unfortunately you are learning the hard way that money and family NEVER mix well. Your choices are to either tell them exactly how you feel about this whole situation or keep quiet and wait until your dad goes back to work. I have no advice which way to go on this either because either options sucks and isn't very fair to you. It definitely isn't right that your mom is flying anywhere when they owe you money. The passive agressive route could be to give them an invoice of what they owe you up to date.......
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• No you are not wrong. If you don't want to keep the house they need to buy it or move out so that someone else can.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Is it possible your brother is paying for her flight?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• No, you are not wrong. This was a business agreement and should be treated as such. I would sit down with both of them and a itemized list of payments and how far behind they are. I would tell them you understand your dad is not working but this financial situation is hurting you. See if they can get a mortgage for the rest of the balance. If not, tell them they must get caught up or maybe tell them there has to be a penalty (just like a bank) when they are late. Last resort, put the house up for sale. You should be able to get an amorization schedule on the internet to show them when their payments are due, and what the balance is every month.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Heck no you are not wrong. I'd be asking mom and dad to see their budget and what payments they are going to pay you and when you can expect them. Don't let them take advantage of you.
    Anonymous

• agree with anon :52.. sit down and tell them if they miss a payment you need to get a payment schedule and get it signed by a lawyer so if the miss it has to be paid or you will charge a fee ..kind like renting..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• this is the poster, Nah my bro isnt paying for the flight.. his warden, I mean wife wouldnt let him.
    Anonymous

• Get into contract with them and inform them that you intend to enforce the contract with legal action if they don't comply to the terms. It's not pretty but probably the only way to save your relationship from resentment.
    Anonymous