Diciplining an almost 2 year old when he spits on the floor...

If you give my son a sippy with anything in it (he's not biased) he will take a sip and spit on the floor, in a bucket, cup or any receptacle he can get his hands on. I've used time-outs, I've given him a paper towel and had him clean it up himself, I've gotten down next to him and told him sternly that I don't appreciate it and I'm disappointed, I've even swatted him on the butt (which my husband I try not to do in any circumstance)... But he still does it! I'm at a loss. What would you do in this situation?

CheshireCat420

Asked by CheshireCat420 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i don't know what to do either. but if you figure it out let me know too.
    lei08

Answer by lei08 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Re-direct him to the bath tub and let him spit out water. It almost sounds like a sensory issue. My autistic son does the same thing so we trained him to only do it in the bathtub. It took awhile and some patience, but he knows. In the meantime take the sippy away first time he does it. Obviously he's not thirsty. Or you can try overcorrection. ( If you don't mind a wet carpet for a few tries at it) If he spits he must clean it up. Then you pour a small amount down again and he must clean it up. Repeat about four times for evey time he spits. He'll soon learn that the clean up isn't worth the first spit and perhaps will stop.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• he still does it after the swat on the behind bc it does NOT WORK. Quit fighting him. he's learning about things, give him something to spit it in. Is it that he doesn't like what he's drinking or is he just playing? make sure you are washing & rinsing the cup well. if he is playing then tell him he can spit but in the tub. Put him in the tub (or pool when it warms up). He'll stop when he gets bored with his new game. of course if he's trying to tell you he doesn't like what you are making him drink then change the liquid and again, make sure the cup and spout are clean. soap sticks to the lid sometimes and soap tastes nasty.
    Anonymous

• just take his cup away when he does it. obviously hes not thristy.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My daughter started doing that around your son's age....like secondtyme said, take the cup away. He'll soon get the point...but be sure to explain to him he will get no more juice or whatever you give him, if he's just going to spit it out. She's over it now...lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Take the cup away and dont pay attention to the behavior..dont ignore the child but do ignore the behavior. If they ar thirsty they dont do it simple as that.
    When you pay too much attention to things like that it becomes a game.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2010