do you think people on wic should be allowed to get brand name expensive formula?

unless there is a medical reason?

im just asking opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As compared to what,store brand?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• WIC has a deal with the formula companies that they go through. Unless they have a medical condition like acid reflux or something, they just get the basic of that brand.
    Anonymous

• ur a moron. thats my opinion... WHO CARES WHAT PARENTS GIVE THEIR KIDS. THE WIC GIVES U WHAT THEY WANT U TO HAVE! I breast fed my kids but when they did get on formula the wic picked out what they got which just happen to be what they got from the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Enfamil and Similac are very good and aren't much more than store brand. And btw, WIC is not exaclty welfare. People who actually do work can qualify for it. It's not tons of help usually but can help enough. You really should not try to create drama about infant formula, for God's sake. It's not like adults are living high on the hog from WIC or something.
    Anonymous

• The milk is for the baby lady, I really do not know of any store brand baby formula.....wic is only for those babies who are under weight or need some more nutrition for growth. Yes every baby should get the best advantage to grow up into a healthy adult.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• why should poor people's babies be penalized for being poor and made to take generic crap?
    Anonymous

• wic is only for those babies who are under weight or need some more nutrition for growth.

WIC is a program that helps those who qualify for help with food. It is not necessarily just for those babies who are underweight or have nutriition issues.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever looked at the income guidelines for WIC? You are allowed to make 3400 per month for a family of four. Which means more of the population can get WIC.

And as one of the other posters stated they have contracts with the major formula companies. Not everyone has a Target or, Walmart ect in their town. The program is federal, not state, or county based.

Maybe you should learn your facts before you ask such a uneducated question.

Anonymous

• Sorry that you need to ask a question like this. I will NOT go anon because I am thankful everyday that their are programs such as WIC to help my husband and I when we needed it the most. My DH had a very respectful job, and made a nice earning, but due to lack of work and our economy he has been job hunting since November. Our dd who is only 6 months has reflux issues and milk protein allergies. Which she has needed to be on Neocate ( VERY expensive, you can only get this through a pharmacy), and now she is on Similac Alimentum, and she is still having problems (blood in her stools). It doesn't make me any less of a mother because I need help, and like I said I am thankful for programs such as WIC everyday, because without them, who knows what would have happened since I couldn't BF!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• you can even get wic while pregnant, it is to help out with food to make sure our kids grow up healthy.
    Anonymous