SO how do i teach my 5 year old about racism????

she has a boy in her class that she says she wants to marry, but he told her that he will never marry her bc she is not white like him.......what do i tell her, i try to make my child aware of the difference in color but i also tell her that color doesnt matter and that she can marry whomever she wants to. but this little boy has hurt her feelings. she is one of two black kids in her class.....i just wonder what some caucasians teach their kids about black people.......

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I cringe when some ppl use religion to justify racism!  What do I teach my (5) kids?  I tell them that GOD created one man and one woman, and ALL RACES came from those 2 people!  GOD made ppl of all colors for a reason....  He likes color!  Does that mean we are to stick TO our color?  I do not see it in Scripture!  Moses married a Midianite, and GOD blessed it!  Miriam (his sister) criticized it, and GOD sent leprosy to punish her (Moses prayed for her and GOD healed her after a little while).   Boaz married a Moabite, and GOD blessed that marriage as well.  Thru that lineage came CHRIST!  Haha!  GOD is not a racist, and neither should we be!  ; )

Trust_HIM_Ps57

Answer by Trust_HIM_Ps57 at 5:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• wow where do you live? My kids are half black and I teach them about different races but not like over kill. They have had no issues yet but I expect some will come especially since they don't look black but do have olove skin tone so people know they are mixed with something when they see me. i get off the wall guesses from adults!
    Anonymous

• thats awful that the parents would teach their son that. just explain that you never judge someone by their skin color but there are some mean people out there who do and to not listen to them because they are wrong....it's hard because she is 5 and it's hard to understand, but as long as she understands that its the parents fault the boy feels that way and that their way of thinking is wrong.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• we have a lot of diversity in our neighborhood, and in my son's class...indian, korean, chinese...
    my son hasn't mentioned anything about race, but he has started talking about boys being better than girls...so i told him we all are different and everyone is good at different things. i would go to the library and see what kind of children's books there are. my neighbor was just talking about one
    i am sorry that your daughter had to hear such a thing at such an age!
    i do remember my dad telling me over 30 years ago that what matters when people get married is that they love each other, not the color of their skin. i am older than a lot of people here, but we read free to be you and me when we were kids.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• its not necessarily what the parents are teaching them, i live in a town with a total of 3 black families and the rest is pretty much white, my oldest came home from school cause a black girl kept following him and he was upset and he said he didnt like black people..my husband and i were shocked, this is not how we raised our kids. we asked him why he thinks that and he said its cause they look different. so we explained to him that skin color is exactly that color, and that he shouldn't be mean to this girl cause of her skin color. he does play with her at recess now.
    maybe the other kid is just not used to the difference.
    i hope that doesnt sound rude in any way if it does im sorry
    Anonymous

• Just let her know that some people think different, because she is not going to understand the complexities of racism because it is based in ignorance int he first place. Let her know all people are the same and she can marry who ever she wants. That really of her. My 4 yr old just asked me if she could have a boyfriend tonight.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I meant thats really cute of her.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• ITS REALLY HARD CAUSE THERE STILL TO YOUNG TO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCES OF OTHER RACES AND ETHNIC BACKGROUNDS! I TELL MY DD THAT EVERYONE IS JUST ALIKE, A WHITE GIRL AND A BLACK GIRL ARE STILL GIRLS AND CAN BE FRIENDS JUST LIKE THE GIRL WITH RED HAIR CAN BE FRIENDS WITH THE BOY WITH BROWN HAIR ETC!
    Anonymous

• My son is mixed. He has no concept of race. He knows people have different colors of skin, but he sees none of them differently. He thinks he is peach. LOL (I'm working on that)
    Just like some people are mean for no reason, or because someone has different hair, or different clothes, or a strange name, or because of a disablity ect, they are also mean baceuse of color. It is hard to explaine what you don't understand. At least it is for me, I don't get it so I don't know how to explaine it. I would leave it at some people dont see and believe things that we do and some people are mean for silly reasons that are not right, and you cant change that just remeber to never do it either.
    Good luck!!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We had a similar (but in reverse) situation when my dd was little. We lived in a very racially diverse area (my dh is military, and it's a very multicultural community). Unfortunately, there's ignorance everywhere :-( This little girl told my dd that she couldn't play with her, because she (my dd) was white, and white people were mean (to paraphrase).

This really hurt my dd's feelings, because while she noticed that people were different colors before that, it wasn't any different than saying "he wears glasses" or "she has long hair" - it wasn't a big deal, it was just how they looked.

Well, this is what I told her - I told her that the world was like a big garden, and that people were like flowers. For it to be really pretty and interesting you need to have all sorts of flowers. I then pointed out how many of her friends were different

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010