Changes to maternity coverage?

Currently, I do not have maternity coverage because it's too expensive. When I got my regular insurance I noticed that you have to pay for maternity coverage for a full year before it's "valid" otherwise it would be considered a pre-existing condition. Since the new health care bill is doing away with PEC, does this include pregnancy? Is it (going to) be possible to buy maternity coverage shortly before we will need it?

Sorry to ask yet another health care bill question, but I can't find anything online.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Usually the 12 month rule for maternity is a waiting period, not a "pre-existing condition" thing. They just want you to pay into them for 12 months before they cover maternity. However, if you get pregnant during the 12 month waiting period and the pregnancy carries over after the 12 month period ends, then the part of pregnancy that was after the waiting period is covered because they cannot (even before the reform bill) exclude it as pre-existing.

As to this bill in regard to pre-exising - as to children - that part will go into effect the day Obama signs it (or the day the bill says effective after he signs it). As to adults - there will be a new program created to give uninsured adults with previously cited pre-existing conditions insuance coverage - the day Obama signs the bill (or the day the bill says effective after he signs it) -then in 2014 new policies under regular insurance may be issued for these adults.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The new crap bill won't be active for at least 4 years, so it won't do any good before then. So I say pay for the coverage if you want to have a baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Unless you are waiting until after 2014......you'll have to pay for your own coverage.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Last night Congress (& CNN) made it sound like the PEC rule would go into affect as soon as Obama signed it. Which I must admit sounded a little too good to be true.

And I'm more curious than concerned about maternity coverage. From what I've figured the insurance will cost more than the total amount it will cost to have the kid, so we're looking into the special options our hospital has for prenatal care for those without maternity insurance.
    Anonymous

______
    They are saying for children in the next 6 months. I have only read and heard them say PEC will be waived for adults in 2014. But as of right now there is a lot of different string pulling going on so tomorrows bill very well could be completely different from yesterdays bill.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• so we're looking into the special options our hospital has for prenatal care for those without maternity insurance.
    ______
    You can get discounted maternity care through the health department. Just call your local health department and they can set you up an appointment. They have discount prices from prenatal care, testing, and delivery.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Just call your local health department and they can set you up an

But that's government run healthcare. Hypocrite!
    Anonymous

• No need for name calling anon 6:53. The OP asked a question and so far people have offered help and left out the name calling. There is way too much name calling going on and not enough of simply helping out. These ladies are doing a fantastic job of just being helpful. I am sure you can do the same.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Why is it fair to your insurance company for you to get your maternity coverage and immediately get pregnant and then drop the coverage after the baby is born? You'll pay what...an extra 100-200 a month for 9 months and get a 30k bill paid free and clear? That's insane. That is like getting car insurance AFTER you get in a wreck and are sued. Would you expect the auto insurance to pay up then, no! Insurance for the unexpected is all about being a grown up and taking care of yourself. Don't count on anything because it can all be overturned with the right people in office.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It is already illegal for pregnancy to be considered pre-existing under HIPAA laws.
    Anonymous