the new heath care bill question

Call me stupid but I just really do not understand this thing. If we already pay for insurance through our employer, how does this affect me. I am just really not understanding this at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• omg.
    Anonymous

• Your employer can drop your insurance in favor of paying a much lower penalty and force you to pay for insurance on your own. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• If you are already covered by an employer plan (and the employer doesn't decide to drop you b/c them paying the fine is cheaper than insuring you) then you aren't going to have to buy any other insurance. You will most likely see raises in your FICA taxes (for medicare) and some are predicting a national sales tax. Many major employers are seeing that the fine they have to pay if they don't cover their employees is much lower than actually covering the employee so I would expect to see many people being dropped by their current employer plans. There is so much there though, and they can still make changes in the senate to the bill and send it back to the house to vote on and that is very likely to happen. Its sad that it is almost pointless to read the bill until its too late but the way they've been changing it so frequently its about the only way you can do it without going crazy.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Thanks for the two helpful answers. Bills and politics have never been something I really understood.
    Anonymous

• They are very confusing, especially when they start changing things and then you throw in the amendments they put in it about drives you nuts. All I can say is just be prepared, read everything your employer sends to you. My employer has already told us that our premiums are going to go up by hundreds of dollars a month starting in 2011 and that was just because of the expectation of the bill to pass, they have made that decision even before it has been passed b/c they are assuming it will pass in some way shape or form so the premiums are set to go up. If you dont get correspondence from the company in the few months after this passes (if it does) then call them and see what may happen for next year. Just because they aren't sending you info doesn't mean they aren't planning on making major changes and just waiting till the last few months of the year to tell you and then you are stuck.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010