Was I wrong?

I don't condone lying but i've dealt with this for almost 6 months...

Im in agonizing pain daily, I can't feel my leg, I take tylenol every 4-6 hours (for almost 6 months!), I can't sleep through the pain..
My doctor would not give me anything because I breastfed. Now mind you, I am not a fan of pain meds but if I took it at night and it helped me sleep by minimizing the pain, I would be great. She was going to give me vicodin but wouldn't when breastfeeding came into the conversation. I know vicodin is safe, I got it from the emergancy room once and have looked it up. My babies pedi also told me it was safe.
I saw the doctor today and lied when she asked me if I breastfed. She went "OH, well then lets start you on something"....
Was I wrong? I just want help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Per the nation's LEADING EXPERT on meds and mother's milk...Vicodin is SAFE. It's more a risk to mom than to baby because of addictive potential...VERY LITTLE passes to milk.

No, you WERE NOT wrong. Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group for ACCURATE info on breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• When it comes to the life of your child you shouldn't risk anything. I'd stop breastfeeding if your going to take a dangerous narcotic.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 9:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you want your baby on drugs then no.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• ah yeah! what ever you get can/may harm your baby, it can get in the breast milk. its either you stop breastfeeding to get rid of the pain or deal with the pain and continue to breast feed I think you'll be pretty stupid if you take those bills and dont consider your childs will being there was a reason why the doctor wouldnt give you other things while you breast feed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Maybe you didnt understand the part about vicodin being safe while breastfeeding?
    Anonymous

• Any narcotic will hurt a breastfeeding baby. There's a reason your doctor said no. An ER doctor doesn't always know what's best for a baby.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 10:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Vicodin is potentially very hazardous to your child. You lied to your doctor and you are endangering your child. DO NOT take Vicodin while you are breast feeding!

Look it up for yourself: http://www.babycenter.com/0_drug-safety-during-breastfeeding_8790.bc

Either stop breast feeding or find a safe alternative to pain relief.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Hmm..I've been told by numerous doctors and on here a couple times that vicodin is safe. If it isn't thats a little effed up. I breastfeed & have taken it for pain & after surgery sooooo..I hope I wasn't misled and harmed my DD. She seems fine?
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Sorry, I didn't read all the other answers here. So if I am repeating what someone else said, sorry. But I would think there is an underlying problem that a pain med isn't going to "fix". Obviously, you need a med to cope for the time. However you need to get the issue looked at. Why is your leg hurting and what can be done to stop it. Is there an issue with your back? Is one of your disks out of alline or something like that? Ultimately what is causing the pain needs to be determined, not just masking the problem. Did pregnancy throw something out of wack in your back or body somewhere that is causing this problem. Get to the root of it is what my suggestion is!! Good luck, Honey!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I was prescribed vicoden for pain after my c-section and I took it regularly while breastfeeding for 4 weeks or so. It's obviously not GREAT to be taking ANYTHING unnatural while pregnant or b/f but if you need to vicoden is considered safe....but this pain you're talking about sounds like something that needs to be checked out ASAP! You aren't very clear in your post about what this pain is all about...but it doesn't sound like normal post-pregnancy pain.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010