Do you have loved ones using Meidcare in a nursing home?

Nursing homes would see their Medicare reimbursements cut by about $15 billion over the next decade. While Medicare comprises only about 13 percent of nursing home revenue, the industry relies on the money to offset low Medicaid reimbursement.
"$15 billion in cuts for nursing homes--those facilities taking care of people on Medicare--which, to me, means they are actually cutting it from the people who depend on Medicare for their nursing home needs."
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/congress/?q=node/77531&appid=595074243

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Medicare nursing homes are already substandard. They might as well shoot them and put the out of their misery if care is going to get any worse than it already is. It's already borderline abuse.
    Anonymous

• Anon 44 ... isn't that part of the plan?
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Medicare only covers 100 days in a skilled nursing facility per benefit period (mainly to be used for recovery from major surgeries). If someone wants coverage for nursing home care they have to buy a long term care policy, have private insurance that covers it to go with medicare, have medicaid or pay out of pocket. Nursing homes aren't making their money off of medicare, they are making their money off of LTC plans or rich people who can afford to pay for nursing care without insurance. The major bills from a nursing home are facility charges. Medicare will cover doctors to see the patients but not facility charges which are thousands of dollars a month. But medicare had its largest fuding cut ever from the 2009 to 2010 year, this bill is going to cut it even more so if you have a loved one on medicare period they will be paying the price. (I am an insurance agent that specilizes in medicare health insurance).
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Very well said Amy... Kudos..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Thanks Grly. This touches too close to home for me. My grandparents currently have a Medicare Advantage plan and they love it and it has saved them tons of money. It will take the ax if this bill gets passed completely and my grandparents will have their $0 premium plan taken away and will have to buy something else. They lost alot of money in the stock market right before retirement so they are living off of 1 SS check and thats it. They can't afford to be "buying" another plan when the one they have now works and works well for them. My clients that I have worked with for years, people I have come to love just like they were my grandparents are going to be crushed by this. I work with many disabled people who do not get much each month from disability and also cannot afford to buy other plans or pay a fine much less have cuts in benefits. And to top it off, I may be losing my job because of this bill....cont
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• because my company will do away with my department if the MAPD plans are cut or if the funding is cut so drastically that they cannot afford to keep us on staff. This is a bad bill all around but it is going to hurt our seniors the most. Yea we may be giving those 32 million un or under insured the chance to buy an affordable plan (affordable by whose standards I wonder?) but it will be at the cost of taking away quality care from the people who already have what they were supposed to have. And who is to say these 32 million people are going to actually buy a plan? There are some people who just don't want insurance, not that they want it and can't get it...some simply don't want it. Some do herbal treatments that no one will cover so what would be the point? Some have communities, like church communities, that have a pool and take care of each other so why would they pay for something else?
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• AMY,
    would like to see answer more of these questions, You are in a job that know what is going to happen. Some kids here do not get what is going on? They believe that they will not have to pay ??if they are poor.
    The old folks are the ones who are going to get hit hard.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010