How much do you spend on groceries? how often?

I feel like food is so expensive here were i live, that is almost impossible to have a full healthy nutrition. Where i live the minimuum wage is 6.30 and the milk the rice the fruit verything has rise and dont even talk about juice. For me to buy juice here is like 4.50 if i want it to be 100% juice if its oinly 5% juice i can find then for 3.50 either way is expensive. What do you think?

Asked by yashira07 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Min wage here is only $5.15 but everything is just as expensive. Milk is $4 a gallon, bread $1.50, eggs $1.50, juice is $4, gas is $4.15 on a good day. I usually spend about $600 a month for two kids, 2 adult males, and me (im prego). I dont know if you have sams club but you can save alot going their.

Answer by bettysmurf88 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Eating healthy, in MOST cases, tends to be cheaper than eating garbage. My suggestion is to go for some cheaper options. For instance, when it comes to fruit only buy bananas and apples that are on sale. Any other fruit, according to what you want to use it for, buy it frozen. It's cheaper per ounce and is frozen at the peak of freshness (and therefore is many times even healthier than the fresh ones!). And avoid juice. Remember juice isn't a necessity by any means! If you're up for it and have the time, try to PM me a copy of the kinds of foods that you buy. I love going over things like that and trying to figure out where changes can be made :) especially when it comes to a cheap, healthy diet (which is what I try to do as much as possible).

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Buy foods that make good for more than one meal. For example potatoes are good to use for a dinner you can do mashed and for lunch the next day you can make potato salad. Kids like french fries and they are easy to make in an oven. Boxed cereals are getting more expensive too so you might try bisquits and jam or pancakes to serve for breakfast rather than the usual grab and go bowl of sugar infused cereal. Any drinks that are in their own indivdual contanter is going to cost you more. I like the powdered gatorade drink mix so that you can use just the amount you want and none goes to waste. The cost of fruit is on the rise as well so it won't do you any good to start squeezing home made lemonade or orange juice. I would buy the generic patuerized apple juice,grape juice or what ever suits your taste and try adding 1 quarter of water to one cup ratio. This will increase your water consumtion which is a plus and cut down on the calories as well.

Answer by fireandice at 7:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I feel like food and grocies have went up so.I try to bbuy the store brnd and get coupons to save but still spend from $60.00 to 120.00

Answer by PINKIA at 8:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I dont even know what min wage is here. But we spend around $125 a week, sometimes less sometimes more. I hit the fruit stand or farmers market for cheap fruit and veggies and I shop where ever anything is on sale at. If milk is on sale at Meijers I will go early in the week and buy two or three gallons and then again late in the week to buy milk for the next week. I hardly ever buy milk if it is not on sale. I also stock up on sale items as well.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think the min wage here is $8.00. We spend about $80. to $100. a week for food. The reason for the price difference is I'm a SAHM so it depends on what bills we have and how big hubby's check is. I go to discount stores, where the food is good, but the cans may have dents in them. (Like I really care if the can is messed up.) Then I find good sales at the store and find farmer markets for fruits and veggies.

Answer by Momsboys2 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I spend about $150.00 every 2 weeks for a family of five. My children are ages 4,2 & 1.

Answer by amy1611 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I'm not sure what minimum wage is here, but I spend about $125 a week for the 4 of us. Check out they have a thing where you can plan a whole weeks worth of meals pretty cheaply. Also with fruits and veggies...try finding a farmers market in your area that you can hit up. They usually have them once a week (atleast here they do). Its usually cheaper to buy them through the market than at the grocery store. Also clip coupons...browse through you're store flyer...see which items are on sale...and stock up on the items that are and you use most...or you can use multiple times. Make a meal plan...then make a list of what you need for each meal...and shop by that list...and don't stray! If you need anything else let me know...send me a message! I'll do whatever I can to help! :0)

Answer by TreyandGabesmom at 1:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• WOW- some of you moms are AWESOME shoppers! I spend at least 120 a week ---I KNOW BAD! I am a family of 3...AND I go to discount stores, BUT I only buy meat from the butcher, including lunch meat- we TRY to eat left overs- but I also make very unique dishes that are not always cost effective ---feeling guilty now :)

Answer by jessicasea at 2:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• in the past i've spent $400 at costco at the begining of the month...then about $100 for the other 3 weeks in the month. so about $700 a month of groceries. i have started a new thing called The Grocery Game. It helps you save money by matching up coupons with sales that are going on that week. i'm still in the begining stages of it...sut i have gotten some items for almost free. Im hooked and cant wait to see how much i eventually save! try it if youre interested in saving some cash.

Answer by michelleleea2 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008