Health Care Bill Concern-- Cost.

I was reading that the penalty for NOT paying health care insurance can run from $700-$1000 depending on how much money you make. I was reading http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/news_cut/archive/2009/11/how_much_will_health_care_cost.shtml and it looks like it costs a lot.

I have a family of 3 (my husband, my daughter and I), and we generated just less than $12,000 last year. I was JUST approved for our state-funded program and that is only $20 a month, which comes out to $240 a year. I know we can NOT afford some $1,800 a year. Do you know if they are going to be subsidizing that? Any idea how much insurance might cost in our place?

What happens to all the unemployed/homeless people? Will they then too get arrested? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I didn't think the bill was going to pass, and have no clue what to do now that it has.

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 10:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• from the way i understand it ...if you make less than, 30000 ( its like 29,000 and some) ....you qualify for Medicaid ( before i think you ahd to make less than 24,000 and some) ....... and if you are on medicade, you are on insurance and therefore you wont be fined....

also from one thing I read, people with less income, wont be fined as badly as those above the poverty line.... and I think for the first year or so it is only like a $100 fine, and then after that it moves up to $500, and then goes up to the 700+
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The government will be subsidizing, based on income, for individuals/families up to 4 times the poverty level, with those making less money of course being subsidized more.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I feel so relieved! I just worry that if we are only bringing in $12,000, and almost $2,000 of that has to go to healthcare we won't be able to afford food/clothes/housing... I know it sounds weird, but we are both looking for work and no one is hiring (we live in a VERY highly unemployed area).
    OmbreGracieuse

Answer by OmbreGracieuse at 10:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Ombre, you would definatly be accepted on medicaid.....are you already on it? Hopefully you are becuase with so many more people being eligable for it, it will probably back things up and it might take awhile to actually get on it....

my friends hubby got laid off and she wasnt working ( she wants to stay home with her kids) so she started taking care of 2 kids during the day and she makes like $400-$500/month ( we live in a small town so it could be more where u live)
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Medicaid qualifications are different in every single state but with your size family and income I'd say as of right now you will qualify. What I don't think they are taking into account are the massive amounts of people who will be going on medicaid because of this bill which will hurt the system and therefore they may have to lower the income limit even more. I know that since I work as a health insurance agent in a company that employes over, I'd say, 50,000 people country wide, there are going to be layoffs within our industry and there are millions of people working in insurance. They are going to have to cut costs, cutting costs means cutting jobs. The job market right now is so crappy that if we were to lose our jobs there isn't much out there right now as it is so there will be plenty looking for medicaid. So much can be affected by this bill because they are going to have to find a way to pay for it.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes and therefore it will bankrupt the nation sooner or later.Hope that will be worth being so happy about this thing.
    Anonymous

• That's just the thing though! I DON'T currently qualify. I make too much money at almost $12,000 a year for a family of three!
    OmbreGracieuse

Answer by OmbreGracieuse at 8:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• wow...well hopefully u do now
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2010