Should I start my own business?

For the past 2-3 years I have been wanting to start my own errand service business. My services would include grocery delivery (we do not have this at all in my area), dry clean pick up, bill paying, etc. Basically, any errand that needs to be done that a person may not be able to take off from their job to do. The problem is that I financial need my full time job right now. I work from 7:30-3:30 and I would be able to do my business in the late afternoons, early evenings, and on Saturdays. Once I get some steady clients then I would be able to reduce my hours at my full time job and concentrate more on my business. Do you think this would be a good idea? I have been really wanting to do this but I just can't afford to give up my steady income right now. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not sure what state you live in, but I used to do this sort of thing for disabled people through a company called CRI, Community Resources for Independence.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• No just because everyone is cutting back on everything and doing their own errands because frankly they're scared they're not going to be able to afford tomorrow. If you need a full time income you need to get a steady full time job.
    Anonymous

• I would say start part time and go from there. I personally think it sounds like a fun business. I say GO FOR IT!!!!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 10:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Two women in one of my networking groups have a very successful concierge business.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Absolutely, you have the ability to do what you set out to do God willing.

God Bless,

Marlene McCray, MS
    Personal Development Trainer & Compass Representative
    http://www.fallintoyou.com
    MMcCray

Answer by MMcCray at 12:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2010