How is the amount of disability per month determined?

We live in CA if that makes any difference. I'm just wondering what the average disability payment is. TIA.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 10:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you're talking about social security disability, it depends on how old you are, how long you've been working, and how much you've paid into social security. We get statements every 3 months or so saying how much we or our survivors would get at certain ages of retirement or in case of death or disability; you should be able to look it up somehow with social security.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I get $840 in cali for having bipolar. But I think its detemined by your assets.
    Anonymous

• It is also determined by how much u have paid into the social security system I think.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you look at your social security statement it should say "if you became disabled today your payment would be..." They send them out every year. Unless you haven't worked lately, then you can't get it. You have to have enough credits in the system to qualify.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I get $788 per month, and I live in NY state. It depends on your age and how many years you've worked. I'm referring to SSD.
    Anonymous