How bad should my contractions be before I go to the ER?

I'm only six months pregnant, but I've been having A LOT of contractions every night, off and on, that last few weeks. Every night they get more painfull than the night before, and more frequent. They're not a certain amount of time apart like every 10 minutes, more like... 9 minutes, 7 minutes, 8 minutes, 11, minutes... like that all the time. When should I finally decide to do something about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• only 6 months, yea I agree you should at least call the dr's office cuz its way to early. Now later on, If you have contractions for an hour, to the point you can't walk or it takes your breath away, def. go in. I waited to the point I just couldn't take it, and had to hit my DH to wake him up and take me to the hospital lol. and once you get there, they will want to observe you for another hour unless you've dilated enough to be "active labor"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• if you were further along in your pregnancy i would give you the advise a seasoned nurse gave me when i was running to OB unit too often, which was " if you cannot talk through your contractions and have to pause with the pain then it is the real thing", but because you are way too early in the pregnancy for delivery.... i say go to the emergency room immediately! it could be a number of things and there they can put a monitor on you and the baby, check vitals, ultrasound if need be, and give you a vaginal exam to insure there is no premature opening of the cervix. please go the hospital or make a appt. with your dr. first thing in the morning.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with PP. At six months it's best for you to get checked out. hope it all works out!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You need medical help. You should not be having contractions at 6 months.
    Anonymous