Health Care, Military, and how the heck is this okay?

Everyone is posting on the health care bill.Well heres my thought.My husband is Active Duty Army, and I am a SAHM.The president recently proposed that all Active Duty and Reserves pay 10 % across the board for all health care costs, including service-related injuries.Then he also proposed cutting Tricare for retirees altogether.For Tricare Prime, we pay no premium, because we are active duty, but retirees pay a premium.Now how can we give medicaid to low income, and then fine people who make too much to qualify for medicaid, then cut benefits for military? WTH?I have absolutely nothing against low income, or anyone in need of assistance to get on their feet.But I feel like middle class is being punished.I feel like the President is actually trying to get out of honoring the contracts the military personnel have agreed to.I feel like the President has completely disprespected military personnel lately.This seems wrong. Thanks

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 11:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know we are going to be screwed. I know WE earned the benefits we have. WE endured separations and poor pay. WE qualified for PA but only used the free lunch program. Daddy had to be available 24/7. When he had to work 20 hour days he had to work. Sorry kids, we don't know when Daddy will be home. Daddy had to keep a bag packed at all times. WE earned it, even the kids until they were adults of course.
    Anonymous

• I agree.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• This is ridiculous they fight for our country he doesn't He just makes the decisions.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I just spent the past hour looking over the CBO's proposal and this would not affect dependents of active duty. The 10% you speak of goes towards increasing the fees retirees have to pay to keep Tricare Prime. Alos, I wanted you to be right, but you were not 100% accurate on what you were trying to say. Tricare Prime is not affected. Tricare Standard recipients may see their rates increase, but they chose Standard. Tricare Prime will remain the same. I looked everywhere, and could not find anything to concur with what you are trying to say. It would be political suicide for any congressman/woman, Democrat or Republican, to mess with the military's benefits. People would drop out of there like flies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They do try to mess with the military's benefits all the time - both the republicans and the democrats. There have been many attempts over the yrs to sort of "slide this one by..." But, thankfully, these attempts are usually noticed by people who follow these things (groups like the NMFA and etc).

BUT - that doesn't mean that any of the current changes mentioned here are going to happen or not - I admit, I haven't looked into it. So, I hope the pp is correct that they aren't looking at charging the military for their health care. Though I do have to say, I think it's a crock that they keep raising the rates for retired military. Many of those people joined and served 20+ yrs with the promise of health care when they retired just as if they were AD. In recent yrs, that's changed, and the rates keep going up. So what, they're retired and no longer fighting, so throw them away?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Another Democrat not watching out for the military...hhmm reminds me of Clinton. Would the service-related injuries be in connection with the VA? Like you'd have to pay a copay for therapy or surgery? To 1:42: you can't just drop out of the military. You can choose not to re-enlist when you're contract is ending.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Actually I have no idea where you looked online Anon, because I found several sites with quotes discussing this issue. And yes it is Active duty and it is for Prime.Standard is not always a choice.While my husband was away, I lived back home in Fl, and I had no choice I had to have standard.And it is 20% of all costs associated with standard already, they are going to expand that to 30% which is ridiculous.I never said it was in this healthcare bill, it is a cost cutting measure they are purposing for the defense budget. And yes, it would be political suicide to mistreat military members.But I have read several quotes where the President actually states that getting fully funded healthcare is selfish and we should have to pay because it is an all volunteer force.I am disgusted with the President and some of his actions so far.When people say the military supported him, thats not true, alot of absentee ballots were not counted.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• http://www.gop.gov/blog/10/03/20/democrats-plan-will-not-protect
    Anonymous

• Yeah I agree thanks everyone
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 5:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010