cutting?

my 14 yr girl is cutting. She was sent home from school with a knife that she had been using and now wont even talk to me. We took her to a doctor for people with problems like hers and they want her to go to a rehab center for about a year. I want my baby to get better but do they work? Do any of ur kids cut how do they handle it? She says she can control it but im not so sure about that. I just dont know how to handle it. What do they do at the rehab place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• do not send her to one of those places. i had severe depression as a teenager and was put in rehab for it. all they do is drug you and pretend they did something...get her into counseling with a therapist. don't send her to rehab
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• well actually i used to cut im 25 now i did it when i was 17 and i did it because i suffered from anxiety and cutting makes you feel so much better. it releases tension, i did not have to go to rehab but i did had to get off caffeine. coffee loved it drank it all the time. and i saw a psychologist 2 a week for about 2 yrs.no meds.
    Anonymous

• I cut as a teenager. I never went to a rehab place or even heard of it. Cutting is a sign of a deep psychological issue. I think she needs to go to a therapist at the least. Just don't forget to treat her like your daughter and not soley a cutter. Cutting is a lifelong issue (I still struggle with it even though I haven't cut at all in about a year.) and she needs to know that you are not angry over it but do not condone it. Then find a therapist that she can talk to.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm so sorry! I know you want your little girl to be better, and I know how hard it is as a mom when we can't fix it. But honestly, I think you should let her go to rehab. I know she says she can control it, but honestly, if she could, she wouldn't be doing this to begin with. My dd had a friend who was cutting. She told her parents she could control it, too. And she was right - she was able to control it in the sense that she got much better at hiding it. She still cut herself and hurt herself. It did eventually come out (my dd and another friend told on her, but it was a long time before they did, because at first, when they found out, she told them the same thing. It wasn't until the second time they caught her that they told.)

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I was a cutter for about six years and still struggle with it everyday. If she could control it, she wouldn't still be doing it. I would suggest therapy first. But, meds aren't going to help. I was put on them at a young age and was still on them until I decided to get off of them this year. Do not let her talk you out of therapy or any other treatment and don' t take this lightly.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 11:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Oh and where is she cutting? I did it on my leg and my wrists. I think if it's on your wrists, than she wants someone to talk to and she's asking for help. On the leg or another hidden place is where the trouble is. She's not willing to talk about it and she's keeping everything to herself.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 11:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• cont

Maybe you could get a second opinion, but honestly, if it's at the point that they don't think outpatient treatment will help, then I really don't think that this is something that she will be able to stop on her own, or even with your help. She's going to need professional care - and the best way you can help her is to get it for her.

Some places are going to be better than others, so I would research them first.

Again, I'm so sorry that you and your dd are going through this! Hugs!!!!!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• she cuts on her hip, like right where the underwear would cover... she also has a few cuts on her plams and but they are so light they look very old. but the worst is this one big on right down her tummy
    Anonymous

• DO NOT GIVE HER MEDICATION. dont do it. get her a psychologist.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• why is the medication bad?
    Anonymous