Having trouble teaching my 3year old

Dispite my, and my husband, and other family members attempts, to teach my 3year old son colors, shapes, letters, numbers ect....We just can't seem to get it to stick! He's completely healthy, speaks well (with a slight lisp that he is continuously self correcting) , he plays GREAT with others...We suspected for a moment he may be color blind but that doesn't explain the other subjects. When I try, he copies me but if I don't give him the answer he lazily says "I dunno" with out even looking at what I'm trying to show him lol. Any thoughts on how I can get him to pay attention or get interested in learning?

Tracy912

Asked by Tracy912 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is three...give it time. Maybe teach through everyday talking..like pointing out the a red sign, a circle in a window instead of having him sit and teaching him. He might pick up better if it doesn't feel like work.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Try making it fun, more like a game, and encourage him to 'help you'. He is three, perhaps if all is well with the Doc, he is just wanting to enjoy things without pressure. When you are reading to him, try pointing out things like shapes, colors, etc and ask if he can remember book to book...if you make it fun it might be more attractive to him.
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 12:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• try taking it slower. introduce 1 shape and 1 color each week (more or less if needed). my son is the same way.. nothing seems to stick, one day he can count to 10 and knows a lot of colors, and the next day he doesn't have a clue. it's all about repetition hun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If he's not interested he's not going to learn. Focus on what he is interested in and teach him about that. He'll have plenty of time to learn colors, shapes and letters. I'd still talk about those things, but just more in passing. Like as you're out and about casually mention the blue car, or whatever. But find out what he likes and he'll be much more eager to learn.
    MesaMommy

Answer by MesaMommy at 3:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I use both of these systems with mine and they have been a huge help.

www.starfall.com
    www.funshineexpress.com
    Gabbyzmommy

Answer by Gabbyzmommy at 11:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Maybe do some crafts with colors. Make a rainbow together and ask him to pass you the red crayon. My daughter loves octagons because stop signs are so abundant. When driving, show him a stop sign and say that it's a red octagon. Do a little game and look for yellow trucks. This is teaching and he will have no idea that you're doing so. :) Hope that helps.
    lubbockmommy510

Answer by lubbockmommy510 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010