I feel like a bad mother , I have a 5 month old & sometimes it's hard to get out

long story short i feel bad that sometimes my 2 year old is watching tv alot while I'm cleaning or taking care of the baby & trying to get ready so we can go out but thta doesn't happen much, any ideas If your like me Have a Toddler & Infant what do you do ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have 3 a 4yr 3yr and almost 1yr. I spend as much time with the older kids during naps and now that baby is older it is easier. Just try and set aside time for the older kid/s. Even if it's a few extra bed time stories they appreciate it. Good luck it gets interesting, but I keep hearing it also gets easier.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I don't think it's all that bad, as long as your not pasting them in front of it all day long. I try to put on barney or sesame street, or something of the like, so it's educational.....so they are learning something from it. My daughter loves the singing and dancing and counting...
    You're a busy mama...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Im in the same situation, only I just have a 2 yr old. But Im single and I find myself putting my daughter in front of Dora alot more than I like just to get stuff done around the house like cleaning and cooking and things.
    Im gonna say do what you have to do to make your life easier. Trust me I have one and I know how hard it can be. Try putting something educational on atleast that way she is learning or puzzles. When Im getting dressed I give my daughter puzzles to play with on the floor. She also has play dough with helps with fine motor skills and it keeps her busy while I make a quick run for the shower. Chalk board and easel will keep her busy as well. Find stuff for her to do that requires her to touch or move and they may help. But when all else fails. Sid the Science Kid or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Dora works for me
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It's not a sin to put on some cartoons once ina while so you can get things done. My DD who is 19 months loves anything musical. Her favorite is Grease and hairspray. She doesn't sit in front of the whole movie, just likes a few songs. And I only have ONE!!! Don't feel bad. Now that the weather is getting nicer. Pack up whatever you need, let the 2 year old get the wigglebutts out at the park and you can spend some time with the baby also. The fresh air will be good for all of you :) good luck!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Kids can be a hurricane, sometimes you just need a moment to put your life back together! You're not super woman, you can only do so much. Make sure you know what your older child is watching and that you can always hear him. Some of the time just let yourself forget the house and get him outside for a while (especially when it's beautiful outside). As long as there's not food out then it can wait for a little while so you can get the kids outside.

So I guess basically I'm saying:
    1. It's a necessary evil and as long as you're supervising it's fine
    2. It's ok to let the vacuuming and dusting wait so that you can get the kids out
    3. Don't beat yourself up over it! It's tough when they're little.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• First, it's not bad to let your child watch some TV. If you're not setting your 2 yr old down in front of it all day long, every day, don't beat yourself up. My kids are 2 years apart. When my youngest was born it took a bit of time to adjust to juggling two of them. Things that helped:
    - Including the toddler in baby care. DS would sing, burp, distract, gather new diaper and wipes, etc.
    - Use nap time for big kid only activities. We'd take the baby monitor and go in the yard to play or find games inside that were "big boy" games.
    - Let your toddler help you clean. I'd but the baby in a sling and put the toddler to work. He loved to dust and sweep. He thought it was a game.
    - Have your toddler help you cook! Cooking is a great way to teach math to young kids too, not to mention it's an awesome life skill to learn and enjoy. My kids both love helping in the kitchen. (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• - put the music on and dance. I'd hold baby and dance around with my toddler. They both loved it.
    - get out the stroller and go for a walk. I'd toss a few baby things in the basket, bring some toys and head out. My DS and I would have a scavenger hunt while we were out. The leaves and things we collected would be used in art-work later in the day.
    - Give 2 yo 'get ready' tasks: find your jacket, pick a snack to bring, etc.
    - keep diaper bag ready and loaded with the usual things you'll need. If I used a diaper, I put in new ones as soon as we got home. Always had "travel only' toys packed, etc.

You'll find your stride. It gets...well not "easier" but different and manageable. Mine are now 7 and 5. They can do a great deal on their own and will amuse themselves or each other for hours on end. However, we're all running to different activities for each of them, homework, etc. It's a whirlwind, but fun. Breath. You're doing fine
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• thanks everyone i feel better
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2010