self-mutilation?

my 15yr bites her nails all the time tell they bleed. Once they start bleeding she keeps biting them. I took her to the dotor and they think it may be another type of self-mutilation... she use to cut she may still be im not sure but i wanted to know can nail bitting be self-mutilation just like cutting burning ect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• why not? Gosh, what is going on with kids these days with the cutting? I'm sorry to hear it. I have never met a soul who did this and I'm 40. Is this new?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i dont know i guess it subconsis but then the kid does it knowing they are doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I used to cut and the reason why I did it was to lessen the pain that was already going on with a different type of pain. So IMO if that is the reason why she is biting her nails until they bleed and keeps doing it, just to lessen pain with a different type of pain, then I think that that could be considered a form of sel-mutilation. Unless there was a different reason as to why she used to cut and just replaced cutting with the nail biting.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 12:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Cutting is part of Borderline Personality Disorder. Google that. There are some good books to help you cope with someone who does that. There are also groups on CM for BPD and I hear there are some for cutters. Maybe they can give you some insight on how to cope with her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• admckenzie...have you ever had a family member that cut? or did you just get your info from the internet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I know about cutting i just dont know how to help with the nail biteing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It can be a form of SM. I used to cut, pierce my skin, and also hit my wrists on the edge of a hard chair , anything where self harm is concerned, its better to be safe then sorry
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 12:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Cutting is not a part of BPD.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 12:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would talk to her & ask her why she does it bored, depressed, fun etc.. if its only a bad habit buy some stuff you put on finger nails to stop the nail biting. www.Stopbitingnails.com/
    if there is a bigger issue I would take her to a psychiatrist
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I used to cut & I dont have borderline disorder!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2010