braxton hicks or true labor??

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and I've had braxton hicks off and on for the past several months. Now I'm getting them every 5 to 6 minutes for the last half hour. My dr said to go in if they stay 5 mins apart for an hour and 1/2. But, how can I tell if they are braxton hicks verses real contractions? This is my 2nd baby and it feels kind of like I remember early labor being with my son...but I'm not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• braxton hicks are usually irregular. if you're able to effectively time your contractions every 5-6 minutes, it's probably it. but just follow your doc's advice and wait another hour or so & keep timing them. if it's not the real thing, it should either go away or won't get worse. the pain should be constant for it to be real. but if you're not sure, just go in and have them check you out. the worst that can happen is they send you home with false labor. good luck and congratulations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with the PP. You usually can't determine a definite pattern with BH contractions. They also aren't usually painful...just a tightening of your uterus prepping for real contractions.

If they are constant, regular, and painful, make a trip to L&D! GL!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2010