is this labor? (not from the same author as the other braxton hicks vs. true labor)

i'm 38 weeks pregnant with my third child. i thought i'd know for sure if i were going into labor, but right now i'm not so sure. what i'm feeling is nothing like i remember feeling with my first 2 children. what i feel is similar to what it feels like to clench your stomach like you're doing a sit up and holding it to the point of pain. the only thing is that there is no relief. my abdomen feels so sore like i've been exercising it all day. but unlike most contractions that come and go every few minutes, it has been constant for almost all day and hasn't let up. what am i feeling? is this braxton hicks or real labor? or is this something totally different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Every pregnancy may be different, but in my personal experience (I have 3 children) a contraction is a contraction. Even in early labor. They generally feel the same.

At any rate, it's always better to err on the side of caution. It's probably just muscle soreness (pregnancy puts a lot of strain on them), but I don't think a call to the Doc (or the after-hours line) will hurt anything.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• The only way you can tell if there real contractions is if you get up and walk around and it doesnt go away. Thats how I was able to tell with my first pregnancy and I will wait to do the same thing when I feel them coming on this time round as well. With my first I started feeling the contractions at exactly 38 weeks and after calling my doctor she had me come into labor and delivery right away. When we got there I was having contractions but small ones. She decided to induce me anyway cause I was already almost 3 cent. dialated and 100% effaced. I had my baby that night. So I would definatly call your doctor to be on the safe side, you dont want to do it too late cause then you risk not getting an epidurl and trust me your going to want one of those. Im sure you already know cause your on your 3rd. GL sweetie
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i don't know. sorry. if you drink water and lay down, will the feeling go away? i hope you got some sleep and some relief last night!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2010