Baby on chest???

lately the only way my baby will sleep at night is if he is laying on my chest (chest to chest) after breastfeeding. Is it ok for me to sleep with him like this(in a recliner)?? I have heard its not a good idea but I cant put him down at night or he cries. he is 2 weeks old and I need some sleep lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• You wont be lol'ing when you smother him or her. That's so not safe! You could hurt him. Too bad if he cries thats what babys do. Grow up and take care of your responsibility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• OP hers, Wow that was a pretty bitch answer, the reason I asked it was just that!! I haven't done it yet and was just curious wow BITCH!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I had the same issue with my DD, she slept on my chest for about a month right after we brought her home, we also co-slept for the first 6 months, and no, I did not smother her, just so you know :)
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I slept with my daughter on my chest for the first three weeks of her life. After that I was able to roll her off of me and onto the bed beside me. We coslept until she was 20 months. I didn't smother her, it is the natural way that a baby is designed to sleep. Other cultures almost always sleep with their babies in physical contact. Think about it... this baby was INSIDE of you for 9 months, hearing your heartbeat, your breath. Of COURSE they're gonna want to sleep on you! Some studies show a reduced SIDS risk.

You're not going to smother your baby. You're not sleeping anywhere near deeply enough with a newborn on your chest to allow them to stop breathing lol. However, "Back to Sleep" is still most recommended... so keep trying to put your baby on their back to sleep. They WILL do it, it just takes patience and practice.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My last two were like that and they are both fine. With my daughter, I had complications for my surgery and was stuck in the recliner. I breastfed and held her most of the day. My son just wanted to cuddle for a while. Now he still comes on me to fall asleep. Not as much of course, but he still comes there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• my DD slept on my chest for the first 3 months. as long as you prop pillows so she doesn't all oof you are good!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I let my son fall asleep on me occasionally, however i didn't want him to become to dependent on sleeping on me or even being glued to me. I always let him fall asleep and then laid him down somewhere else, i tried to fall asleep with him on my chest and was too nervous. He usually fussed and cried when i laid him down but i just let it go and dealt with it. His sleeping patterns were great he started sleeping through the night very early, he understood that when it was bed time he went to bed, and that was that, my son is one year old, he sleeps through the night and has for quite a while and understands that he doesn't need me or daddy to fall asleep, however he will fall asleep on our chests once in a while but if the baby cries try a swing or the womb bear you can pick it up at walmart for 13.00 or so that was a great way to put him to sleep and it put daddy to sleep as well. Hope this helped good luck.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I slept like that for a while iwth my kids have you tried a swing? My kids both slept in theirs
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i think you should do what you need to do to sleep. also sleep during the day when she sleeps. that is a very comfortable position for your baby and you are very likely training her heart lying chest to chest like that. this is probably a phase as other moms said. i think the safest place for a breastfeeding baby to sleep is in its mommy's arms.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• You can sleep with her on your chest, it's fine, the tiny percentage of babes who are sadly smothered are in the same kind of statistic as babies hurt in pram accidents & no-one tells you to never put her in a pram!!! My babies all slept on my chest for the first few weeks, they hear your heart beat & are soothed. Try to not be too caught up in the scary "bad habit" ideas, you won't spoil her, you are helping her feel loved and safe. We are one of the very few nations who think it is normal to "teach" our newborns to sleep in a room all by themselves, & to teach them independance They are newbornies!!. No-one expects a lion to kick a newborn cub out on day one, but we over educated westerners want our babes out & independant ASAP. Just enjoy this delicious snuggly time it is gone so so fast Hugs
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2010