Is anyone having trouble nursing their 1yr old?

I have been nursing my daughter for almost 15 months now without any problems until now. My nipples hurt sooo bad! There are small gashes around my nipples on both breasts that keep scabbing over. It hurts real bad the whole time I'm nursing her! I don't want to wean her yet. Any suggestions? Please help!

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was always told to make sure you air dry completely after nursing. Then, squeeze a small amount of breast milk out and gently rub it on & around the nipples. Supposedly this is better than using a nipple ointment which actually causes more drying & cracking because it prevents the skin in that area from producing the natural oils that are normally on the skin. Also, making sure that the nipples are drawn way into the baby's mouth so that her teeth don't come into direct contact with them, tends to really help too. Hope this helps! Best wishes, that's really awesome that you've been able to nurse her this long!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2010