She wants me to abandon my dog!

My family is in the process of relocating to another state, and before we get settled into our new home, we are going to have to stay with my grandmother for awhile (no one is sure exactly how long - could be a couple weeks to a couple months). I have a big dog, a collie, who is my child just as much as my son is. My grandmother loves my dog, every time she visits us, but has decided that he is not welcome to stay w/ her while we do. I don't know why. She says its because there's not enough room, but she has a fenced yard and he would be outside most of the time, anyway. I don't know what to do! She is helping us w/ our move a LOT, and I know its "her house, her rules", but I CAN'T abandon my dog! And we have nowhere else to stay! She wants us to leave my dog at my parents' house, but they are trying to sell their house and he would be a big burden, plus I can't leave him for that long! Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• Can you kennel the dog or do you have friends who would take it for awhile ?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Kennel or a friend or find another place to stay in the interim. Those really are your choices.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• OP - No friends to take him, plus like I said I just can't stomach the idea of leaving him. Collies are "one owner dogs" - they become abnormally attached to their primary caregiver (think: Lassie sitting on her owner's grave), and he also needs TONS of exercise, and no one I know is up for that commitment. That is also why a kennel won't work - aside from the massive cost it would take to keep him in a kennel for months, he would die of boredom!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree, you really can't make her let your dog stay there, and as much as you love him, it's also not fair to get upset with her for not letting the dog stay there (as you say, she's helping you a lot with this, and she really doesn't have to do even this much - there are many who won't - even for family).

If she's your grandma and you're a mom, then I imagine she's not exactly a young woman, used to kids, pets, etc at her house anymore, and she might be already feeling some stress or anxiety at the situation (not saying that she doesn't want you there, just that it's a lot of changes), and the dog might be just one change too many for her to handle.

Honestly, your only real choice is to either have your dog stay with a friend, place your dog in kennel, ask your parents (even if they are trying to sell their house, if, as you say, the dog isn't a problem, then they might not mind), or not stay with grandma.

GL!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• btw - I know you say you can't be away from him for that long, and that he would die of boredom in the kennel, but maybe if you call around and talk to them, there might be one that will let your dog stay there and you can come and walk him, play with him, etc, so it won't be so bad. I know that a lot of my friends have done that when they were getting ready to transfer and their dog couldn't stay with them in the hotel. They would be in the hotel, their dogs at the kennel, and they would go over every day to visit.

Also, maybe they would be willing to let you volunteer with cleaning, feeding animals, etc - in exchange for a reduced rate? (Or, if they won't, maybe there's a no kill shelter that will let you - NOT take your dog, but let you sort of "room" him there, in exchange for help and a small fee, if you explain the situation to them?)

again, good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2010