do ur kids understand when you have to get something for just one of them?

For example, if one child needs shoes and you just get that and nothing for the other one, do they understand? or do they whine?
I mean, do they understand that they can't have a pair of shoes if they dont' need it as much as the other one. But, next time they will get something that they need?

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes! and they are only 5 and 4. But they understand. ...i consider myself blessed. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Mine understood that from a young age about needed things. I had 4 children in a 5 year span and things like clothes and shoes were often bought on a need basis. Now, toys were never bought for 1 without being bought for the others as well and as they got older (12+) if 1 wanted $5-$10 to go out then I needed to have the money to give to all 4. The older 2 were 12 and 11 when the younger 2 were 8 and 7 so if they got $5 each then the younger ones got $2.50 each. When the older 2 got up to 15-16 and wanted $10 to go out then we had to have $10 for each and $5 each for the younger 2. That was sometimes hard for the older 2 to understand....that we had to be fair and couldn't just give 1 of them or just the of them money without also including the others. But it wouldn't have been fair. We never played favorites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They understand. Occasionally, they might still complain about it, but they understand. If something is needed for just one of them, then the one that needs is the one that gets. When it comes to wants, though, I don't buy for just one. I buy for both or neither.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They understand.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 7:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yes, they do, though the younger one will sometimes complain, though not as much as he grows older. Needs are bought on an as-needed basis. If one needs something for a school project, then he gets only what he needs for that project and nothing more. If the other has an unexpected growth spurt and needs shoes, she gets shoes.

I buy their school clothes at the same time, Easter outfits together, Christmas is even. If I buy one a treat, the other gets a treat, too.

But they both understand that they will have what they need when they need it. And I understand that I am very blessed to be able to provide that for them.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yep.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Mine always understood. I think it's how you explain it to them. When toys come in cereal boxes. I kept them in a basket where the kids could see them. When we had 3 of them then each child got one. I really kept fights to a minimum. Kids understand more than we give them credit for.
    Anonymous