is my son TOO attached to me??

my 3yr old son is SO attached to me it's not even funny. my boyfriend noticed this too. but let me explain. he always wants to play with me, and only me. he wants to go everywhere i go, and do everything i do. he screams and cries every time i leave the house (even if he's with my parents who he's known since birth). and yes, i love that he always wants me around.. but it's getting kind of aggravating. i see 3yr olds all the time who are no where near as attached to their mom as my son is. i really want to fix this now so when it comes time to go to school he's not locking his arms around me begging me not to leave. suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe he is just going through the separation anxiety stage?? That is real hard... a few tips if I may?? When you leave to go some where sit with him for a moment and love on him. Tell him that mommie has to leave but you WILL be back. When you start to leave no matter how much it hurts you or he screams, dont look back. If he grabs on to your legs, just simply pull him off from you and keep walking without saying anything. You have already assured him and gave him love.. if you look back or give attention to his grabbing at you it only feeds into it. Sooner or later he will understand that mommie and son can not be together always and that is healthy. I hope you the best at this and I hope you choose the best path for this that is healthy for yourself and your child. :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wish i could help but i got the same problem, and i got two kids my oldest 3 year old son, screams and cries when i leave him at daycare or even with his dad, he gets upset if i go anywere with out him or if i want to shower alone.. if you find a way to fix this let me know lol :-)
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 3:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2010