how can i detect a twin pregnancy without a scan

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Depending on age a doctor can sometimes pick up the 2 different heartbeats on the doppler. My doc could always find both and it was easy to tell because they had different heart rates and you could hear one better than the other (my daughter was squishing my son so he always sounded fainter or something like that). But really the only way to confirm is ultrasound or waiting 9 months and see if two come out! As far as I know anyways.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• my midwife detected extra amniotic fluid and faster uterine growth at 5 months, then found a second heartbeat at 6 months.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• in the third trimester, they can often feel the position of a baby, or detect multiple babies :) but it's not 100%
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If you think you may be having twins it really is safer to have an ultrasound. My pregnancy was considered high risk and if I hadn't had a lot of testing done we never would have known my son was going into distress at 34 weeks and needed to be immediately delivered.
    Anonymous