No bashing please. Did you wean your child from the bottle later than 1 year? I need some advice.

I know all the reasons why a toddler should be weaned at age 1 and I feel guilty about it.

My child is almost 2 1/2 and still uses a bottle at night before bed. I want to go ahead and get rid of the bottle. I've heard that cold turkey is the best way to go. I'm afraid that I will cave after she has been crying a while. With my older daughter, we switched to sippy cups at age 1 and she became very attached to the cups and we finally got her weaned from sippies at age 5. I'm embarrassed that my 2 1/2 yr old has a bottle and I don't want her to end up just as attached to sippies. She drinks out of a regular cup with ease. Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Okay this is the only idea that i have and it came from tv lol i was watching super nanny and this actualy appeared to work with a binky instead of a bottle. The little girl was 3 years old and they told her that there were babies that needed her binkies worse than what she did, they explained to her that if she would find all of her binkies in the house and put them in a bag that they would tie them to the tree and the binkie farie would come and get them and leave her a present that she could wake up and get in the morning. My son is only 1 year old and i've got him off the bottle but this seems like a great idea. It's very imaginative and if you could use the bottle fairy instead of the binky fairy and get all the bottles out of site then it might be worth a try. I hope this helped good luck.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would have to say the cold turkey method worked for me. I did switch to a sippy, and then eventually just only put about a 1/4 of water in the sippy, and it got to the point where my daughter took one drink and was asleep. Your daughter is old enough to know she doesnt need it and understand what you are telling her. Just tell her, we dont use bottles anymore, we are big girls, and big girls dont use these. Then get rid of every bottle in your house that way you or your daughter have no way to fall back. Once its done, let it be done. It sucks really bad listening to them cry, and you feel like the meanest parent ever, but its all out of habit, and habits can be broekn, so you just need to support her, and it will all work out. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
    deftonespink

Answer by deftonespink at 3:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with deftonespink, cold turkey and honesty is the best way to go for both of you. A short time of "oh my thats loud" but the less you give in, the less you will have to hear them upset about it. Give in once you can expect it to be twice as har the next time you say no.. You can do it, be consistant. I breast fed my girls but its about the same, with the first i fed her until about a year, then switched to sippies cold turkey, it helped that my milk depleated (as will tossing your bottles and formula) with my second and third went strait to cup after nursing, but I introduced it at the same time I introduced rice cerial. My one year old can hold a cup by her self and drink she started to drink with help around 10 months from the cup. You totally got this one, the key is consistance and honesty. When you say no mean no, and expect nothing other than them to respect your answer, you are after all the momma. Good luck!
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 3:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• OP here. Thank you ladies. We've been talking to her about it. I tell her she is a big girl now and that bottles are only for babies. So she gets mad and says, "I am baby! Not big girl! Baby!!! I want a bottle!!!" So like an idiot, I give her one. lol How long do you thing it will be until she won't cry for it? 2-3 days? A week? She shares a room with her big sister who has a hard time sleeping with any noise, so I'm thinking that I will have the older one sleep in the livingroom until the younger one is done with the bottle and the crying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and they both still take a sippy to bed .. I am not taking them away .. I am going to wait until they get big and they will let them go themselves .. You know darn well that by the time she goes to her first sleep over shes not gonna say mom but I need to bring my bottle! .. If you just give it at naps and bed I don't see anything wrong with it .. jmo
    ahyesme

Answer by ahyesme at 4:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If on the couch works for her cool. If you give in it could take months.. the amount of time will greatly differ depending on you. If she is used to getting her way after whining and you continue with that, it should take nearly forever, and ultimately you are helping her become a selfish complainer, as mine were. She wont grow out of it untill its expected of her, . haha mine drove me crazy! But when I said no they knew if they persisted, victory was theirs and I was made a fool, to eat my words. Being consistant despite your parenting style is key. It will bring her comfort to know she is in the good hands of your control. A strong leading mama will comfort her when she adjusts & as she grows. If you have been giving in, but start tomarrow truely drawing the line I say a guess of 2 weeks, and she wont ask, but if you don't give in once, she will ask less, and it might be done sooner! &what a relief! It will be over b4 u know
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• No way we can tell how long she will cry. When I took the binki from my 18 months old he screamed for a week, But then it was over. When you take the bottle do not replace it with sippies in bed. Laying down with either one is really bad for her teeth.
    Cold turkey or bottle fairy both sound like good ideas. Either way you will just have to pick one and do it.
    Stick to it mama, even though it makes us feel awful when they cry, it's what is best.
    Good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• One thing I did with my 3rd was tell him that when the bottle liners are gone, no more bottles. (we used the playtex drop in system). I started the countdown when there were 10 liners left, and each time he had 1 reminded him that when they were gone, no more. Well when we got to the last one I said This is it, this is the last. He did get a bit upset, when he saw that I was serious, and that there were no more bottles, BUT he did not fuss as much as I feared. What also helped is he got a reward for giving up the bottles...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Ok - #1 was 16 months when I took off the bottle at night
    #2 was 1 week shy of turning 2
    #3 was 11.5 months

With ALL of them - I went cold turkey... of course they were only on the bottle at bedtime. The oldest 2 - cried for 2 nights - after that - NOTHING!!! My youngest never missed it.

My advice is to tell your dd that big girls don't need bottles. I would let her know that she won't be getting them anymore. AT bedtime she WILL cry, but like I said only for a couple of nights. You have to be strong. Don't give in....if you do - you will have to start over. it will be a tough 2 nights, but it will be worth it in the end.

I know supernanny has some creative ways to rid of bottles. She goes cold turkey as well.

Good luck!!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Don't feel bad. My son was over 3!! He needed a bottle of water to fall asleep. Then he woke in the middle of the night for one. I put it off and put it off because I really didn't have the heart or the strength to deal with it. Then one day he told me that bottles were for babies. And he threw it away!. He must have noticed at daycare that only the babies had bottles. I was so happy! That was it, he never had another one.

My daughter was also 3. We went on vacation and I told her I forgot them. It was a little bit of a struggle, but really not that bad. When we got home I just got rid of them all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2010