At what age will you let your daughter go to a sleepover where you really don't know the other parents?

My daughter is 6 and has been invited to a sleepover, but we don't know the other parents at all. She's never gone to a sleepover, not even at grandma's.

What age do/will/did you let your kids go to sleepovers where you don't know the parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think 6 is okay for a sleep over, but you might want to try it out at grandma's house first, even if the sleep over is this weekend and you're able to do grandma's on a school night, just to test it out. Even though you don't know the parents i'm sure someone in your inner parent network as i'd like to call it know the parents of this child and can give you an over view of what they think of them, talk to your little girls friends parents that you know. Hope this all works out for you... good luck
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• never...there are such thing as creeps, even other parents
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't send my kid anywhere at any age without knowing who the caregivers will be - I would have to meet them or talk on the phone first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I personally would never let my girls go to a sleep over where I didn't know everyone that was going to be there and was completely comfortable with all of them..I also agree with annon3.50 we got to be careful, just because we would never do something horrible, we cant be nieve that not all parents are good, or even mentally balanced at that, and our babies arent worth the risk. Maybe get to know the parents a little better and when you feel comfortable about it I don't see an age problem. Good luck with that! :)
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't let her go without knowing the parents. I would also make sure her first sleep over is at a grandparents or something and not in front of her friends. It would be bad if she got homesick and they thought she was a "baby" just because she hadn't slept anywhere other than her own bed.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 4:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If i dion't know the parents then you aren't sleeping at there house. I don't know what kind of parents they are how do i know if there not gonna be drinking or just leaving you two girl to fend for yourselves. 10 yrs old with your own phone so i can call you myself and get a feel of what's going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Absolutely never. That's why I make an effort to socialize with her friends parents. Or, if I don't know the parents, I'll offer to take the girls shopping, ice skating, a movie etc. and invite a parent along and offer to treat them to lunch or coffee. Me and my daughter's safety and well being are priceless.

We have something in our home called a 1/2 sleepover. They are allowed to visit until 9 or 10 pm and then they come home (again, only with known families.)
    waterandair

Answer by waterandair at 7:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't let mine sleep over unless I got a chance to meet the parents. Your mom tuition would tell you if something isn't right when you meet them. I wish you luck and right now my LO only stays with close friends and family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would never allow a sleep over unless it is at a relatives house. And I would never ask a child to come to my home. People are crazy these days. You have to protect your children from them, and yourself from false accusations.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• nope never.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2010