breast infection ...?

i got them a lot when i nursed my first child...now im 3 weeks into nursing my second and i'm pretty darn sure i have another infection (going to doc wednesday)....is it possible to be prone to these things? is there any way around this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that the supplement soy lecthin (sp?) Is good for helping reduce the instances of clogged ducts and mastitis. I'm pretty sure you can get it at GNC. In the mean time, nurse, nurse, nurse! You have to remove the milk from the glands so that it doesn't cause infection. If you feel a clogged duct coming on, feed the baby from that side first. Massage the duct while you nurse. If baby is full and doesn't want to nurse, hop in a warm shower and massage the lump while hand expressing the milk. HTH! I never had duct issues, but we've had thrush twice :-/ the joys of motherhood! :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 8:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think that if you nurse or pump often you can attempt to prevent it. Also if you take your vitamins and generally try to keep yourself healthy by avoiding cigarettes and alcohol it should help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Soy lecithin is a preservative that is put in processed foods. I've never heard of a soy lecithin supplement and wouldn't recommend taking something like that while pregnant.

It's easier to get mastitis with your first baby because you will get engorged real easy the first time. Your body won't hyper produce with a second baby, which will make mastitis less likely. I had it with my first baby but not my second or third. But then I had thrush with my second and third and not my first.

If you produce a lot of milk and stay engorged (also if you pump to much while also feeding at the breast which will cause you to produce too much) then you can get mastitis. If your immune system is compromised then you could be prone to thrush.

Mastitis - painful warm red spot on the breast with a fever (usually over 102), pain during feeding
    Thrush - burning, stinging during & after feeding, no fever, pain in the nipples
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My friend got them like crazy and it never happened to me. We had our sons in the same week and in the same hospital. We both EBFed but she got mastitis a few times and said it was AWFUL! I think maybe she was just prone to them, but she also had to go back to work so she was pumping a lot to store some and I think that it may have been from the pump. I have nothing to back that up, it's just a guess.

In the meantime, I agree with the above- nurse like crazy even if your baby is done, let her latch on and use you like a pacifier if you have to.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Women who are prone to an oversupply of milk often have frequent mastitis. I had this problem until I realized that oversupply was causing it. Lots of great info and trouble shooting to help you find the underlying cause so you can prevent it form happening at Recurrent Mastitis or Plugged Ducts

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• "Soy lecithin is a preservative that is put in processed foods. I've never heard of a soy lecithin supplement and wouldn't recommend taking something like that while pregnant."

FYI Lecithin has been recommended to combat recurrent plugged ducts. Lecithin is a very common food additive, and is found naturally in many other foods. There are no known contraindications to its use by breastfeeding mothers. Lots of info on this at Lecithin treatment for recurrent plugged ducts

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010