Do you think other companies & doctor's offices will follow suit???

Effective April 16, Walgreens drugstores across the state won't take any new Medicaid patients, saying that filling their prescriptions is a money-losing proposition — the latest development in an ongoing dispute over Medicaid reimbursement.
"Washington state Medicaid is now reimbursing pharmacies less than their cost of participation," said Jeff Rochon, CEO of the Washington State Pharmacy Association.
Pharmacies that continue to fill Medicaid prescriptions at the current state reimbursement rate are "at risk of putting themselves out of business altogether," he said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011367936_walgreens18m.html

pvtjokerus

Asked by pvtjokerus at 8:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Gee....I wonder how many more companies/doctors offices we will see do this within the next 4 years before the HC bill kicks in????
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 8:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They'll probably start to dump new medicare too once the reimbursements are adjusted. Good thing both programs are about to triple their rolls!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Wow, I don't know but it would be terrible. I have a feeling my Dr. will retire. He has been in business a long time and I have a feeling that if he has a large geriatric clientele that he will just decide to close shop. He was vehemently against this bill. He was for reform, but not what is in this monstrosity of a package passed by congress.

I don't know about everywhere else, but there are tons of urgent care type places in strip malls around here.  UT Pysicians is building out a big space in a strip mall here, and I know the leases to be very pricey in this area.  I hope that this legislation won't change the availability of health care, but seeing things like the above don't have me very hopeful. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Pelosi and Obama are sticking over 15 million more on Medicare and Medicaid and they say they are going to save money.....it's going to topple and those that depend on these two systems are the ones going to be left holding the bag.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 8:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I hope everyone refuses to serve this plan. It was a stupid plan in the first place.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They NEED the Dr fix. They PURPOSEFULLY left it out of healthcare to make it appear they were "saving money" ...This is a VERY expensive measure. Until then~ Medicaid expansion in coming with (per the health care bill) BUT LESS Dr/Drug payout...  Read the bill. Read the CBO report... I forsee more of this happening~ research the trends of Dr's and now drug stores dropping medicaid.. The TRENDS are there and growing...  Medicaid patients will have to go further and further away for Drs because the payout results in them LOSING money...  But I am sure liberals will make the Drs, Walgreens, etc out to be evil while continuing to make special deals with Big Pharma...  That's how they roll...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Medicaid spends on average 2,142 per adult Medicaid enrollee. Private Insurance, meanwhile charges and average premium of 4,700 per each adult enrollee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Medicaid spends on average 2,142 per adult Medicaid enrollee

And if Dr's and Drug Stores are LOSING money covering Medicaid patients... How would an expansion of Medicaid with lower payouts benefit Dr's and Drug Stores?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• This is my drum I have been beating the whole time... CARE people, not COVERAGE....we need to make care affordable and coverage will not be such an issue. This bill addresses the warm, fuzzy idea of coverage and does nothing to ensure good care!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2010