How often should my 7 month old eat?

My daughter is 7 months old, and generally eats a 6 ounce bottle every 4 hours. I feed her about 2-2.5 ounces of puree or cereal twice a day (she's quite excited about it and would eat more, but I'm afraid she wouldn't eat her bottle), at which point she eats about a 4 ounce bottle. She's still waking up once or twice a night. Should I bump her up to 3 "solids" a day?

SweetMakenna

Asked by SweetMakenna at 8:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. Why don't you wait until she is 1 year old to increase the solids. Doctors recommend this as precaution for allergies. The more you wait to introduce new foods the better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• ood before 1 is for experimentation not nutrition. Calories should come from formula/breastmilk
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It sounds like you're feeding her just fine. It is very normal for her to be waking up hungry once or twice at this age. My son woke up hungry once a night until he was 18 months old. Books like "Baby Wise" will say after 6 months they should sleep through the night and not be hungry, but that's a crock. Their tiny little tummies don't take in as much food as ours do. So, they shouldn't be expected to stay satisfied as long. Even sometimes as grown adults we occassionally wake up hungry or thirsty.

I don't do 3 solids a day until 8 months old and even then I offer the breast (in your case bottle) before the solids. At 8 months I offer rice cereal for breakfast, a fruit puree at lunch, and a pureed veggie with meat at supper. I would give one baby Mum Mum as an evening snack. They are great to teach them how to hold their own food and chew. They don't bulk up like teething biscuits and are made with veggies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• There are some nutrients that come from solids that u cant get in breastmilk. 1 or 2 solids a day should be enough until she gets a couple months older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My daughter is on a similar schedule and is 7 months old. She stills wakes up once or twice during the night. She eats at about the same frequency. At one point, when she was 5 months old, she was still eating every 4 hours or less, but eating enough for the whole day. (24-32 ounces) Basically my doc said she had acid reflux which is common, and that was why she was only eating so much at one time, and that they wouldnt do anything as long as it wasnt bothering me to feed her so much. I am a SAHM so I dont care how often she needs to be fed, she can eat when she is ready. Dont worry I think you are feeding your child enough. And I feed my daughter cereal and formula at night and she still wakes up, so feeding the cereal doesnt always guarantee they will sleep as some say.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 10:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I guess I am the odd one. This is my daughter schedule she will be 7 mo on sat
    6:30- Wake up, give her her cup she drinks 8-9 oz
    7:30- eat breakfast (usually a fruit)
    9:30-nap
    12- wakes up, give cup she drinks 5-6 oz
    12:30- eat lunch (usually a veggie)
    2- offer cup, drinks 3-4 oz
    3- nap
    5-wakes up, give cup drinks 5-6 oz
    6- eats dinner (meat or another veggie)
    7- offer cup she drinks 3-4 oz
    8-bed and she sleeps all night
    She normally gets about 27 oz a day
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 2:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Let see.....
    Im not with all that "what the doctor recommends" crap. My daughter is 2 and when she was 7 months old she was doing the same thing. I fed her cereal for breakfast mixed with a fruit. I gave her the baby food I mixed half jar fruit and veggies for lunch and veggie/meat and fruit for dinner. She still drank her milk. I made sure she got about 20oz of milk a day as recommended by her doctor. My daughter was and is fine. She has no food allergies or anything.
    If the baby is hungry, feed her.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010