hair coloring help

I have awful luck with hair coloring- all I ever want is just a more vibrant shade of golden blond than my natural color that is getting darker by the years. Since I like the natural looks, stylists constantly are doing highlights and recently highlights w/ lowlights. Its getting frustrating b/c the highlights are too cool of a blonde (platinum) and the lowlights are super brassy, darken my hair and make the light streaks stand out too much. I really want "solid" color, but I'm scared that it'll be too flat dimensionally. Today I'm going to a girl to try my request of going straight golden blonde. She does a process called block color...would this be the element that would give a dyed blonde look a natural depth/look? I'm also scared that my hair is going to turn all red like it does whenever they apply warm blonde color. Why does that happen? anyone have suggestions?...

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 8:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• you need a neutral blonde instead.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My hair also doesn't take well to that process they do to correct the brassy color. It just looks more ashen and red. Is there a reason they can't get it right the first time? Sometime I can suggest to them? Since this is for a special occasion, I'd just love to be armed with some good info or tips on how to actually get the color I want. I've ended up looking like a circus tent one too many times and recently since I've started to say I want to look really natural to avoid the red, the natural has been so neutral (but with annoying streaks) that there isn't a noticable difference in a bad way. may as well not gotten it done.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• what's a neutral blonde?
    mrs_pulley

• colors basically fall in 3 categories. Ash,neutral,and golden.Ash neutralizes reddish tones,neutral is the most natural looking and is neither greyish toned or reddish toned,Golden brings out gold to red tones depending on your natural color.Most likely if you already have highlights and do an all over color,those areas will be lighter.What's your natural color?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would say my natural color now is a golden brown or generously a dark blonde. like brownish in darker lights but really golden like I want in direct sun, just still a little darker than I'd like. It used to be naturally golden blonde. there used to be a tiny tiny bit of red in it, but the way that many true blonds have several colors in their hair and no more than any other other color. I figured since I do still have the highlights in most of my hair that even a solid color would take differently on the dyed vs. natural parts. I'd be ok with that, and really anything they suggest, as long as I can get the warmer but non red/brassy shades of blonde. Is that just not likely to happen?
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Probably not. I'd opt for an all over color you can touch up with semi-permanent color at home and have you grow out the colored and hi/lo lighted parts.Get trims every 6 wks and try the highlight thing once its grown out. if you continue with this hi/low light thing,your hair is gonna be straw!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2010