Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dose anyone Know about Probate, for the state of illinois

My grandmother died a year and half ago. I am now living in her house in which my mother is over the whole estate, The only thing is that their is not a will. my grandmother had a freeze on her prperty so she did not have to pay taxes. I am worried that my mom did not change the house into her house what will happen.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • I used to work for a probate attorney in Illinois. When someone dies without a will, her property automatically goes to the closest living relatives. If her spouse is no longer alive and your Mother is her only living child, it would all go to her.

    Just ask your Mom if she changed the deed to the house to her name. It will need to be changed because you cannot live there and not pay property taxes since you're not a senior citizen.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

  • thank you very much, can you explain to me what a madallion is, And why would my mom need one to change the deed over . thanks in advance

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • Sorry, I've never heard of a "madallion" but I think I may not what you're referring to. When a person's estate is formally probated in court, whoever is named as Executor of the deceased persons estate is given what is called "Letters of Office". It's basically a piece of paper which designates who the Executor is and it has a gold seal at the bottom. I'm assuming that is what you're calling a medallion. It's standard practice to need Letters of Office to change a deed. Think of it this way, if it wasn't required, anyone could waltz in and change the deed of a deceased person's home to them. It's a way of proving that it's being done legally. Hope this helps. BTW, you can probate an estate on your own without hiring an attorney but the paperwork gets a little tricky. I'd recommend that your Mom get a free consultation with a probate attorney to see how much it will cost and then go from there.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.