what can i expect at an orthopedist appt. for my 6 yr old daughter?

She was born with 4 toes on one foot and that leg is shorter than her other one. now she walks on her toes with that foot and complains that her knee/leg hurts. I made an appt for her tomorrow but i am nervous about her possibly needing surgery or am i just thinking way to much into it.

kd2kds

Asked by kd2kds at 10:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think due to the shortened leg,surgery is going to have to happen eventually. Orthotics can only be used for so long.She'll need lengthening procedures where they break the bone and put rods in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• thats what im afraid of and no one wants their child to go through that and it never stopped her from doing anything. she even started walking at 8 months.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If her leg is shorter, she needs a lift on her shoe. My friend has one. She does not need rods in her leg being lengthened! That's for the movies. holy crap.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• sometimes a hip mis alignment can make one leg appear shorter...have the bones actually been measured? you could try a chiropractor too. a lift sounds much better than surgery!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think we all over think and think the worst. I know I do. I hope everything works out for her and if surgery is the best then that's what you need to do for her.
    Anonymous

• The leg may not grow to be the same difference in length as it is now.How much of a difference is there?I'm more concerned with the pain she's experiencing.I don't think a lift will do the trick.Are their bone issues with the foot?I'm sorry hon,but my gut says reconstructive surgery.You're looking at spine,hip and neck issues with the awkward walk.
    Anonymous

• the difference in lengh of her legs isnt huge but its enough that she has been now walking on her toes on the shorter leg. also her foot with 4 toes is of course skinnier than her other foot. you wouldnt be able to tell she had 4 toes or a shorter leg if you saw us walking thru a store. she never had problems walking she even started walking when she was 8 months old. the only pain she complains of is her knee/leg, and she just recently started saying anything about it so i made an appt as soon as i could. i should know something by tomorrow morning.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 6:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2010