how old was your child when they could count to 10?

just for fun :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• uhm... for some reason my son started counting to ten at the age of 2 but he knew how to count in spanish when he just turned 2.. and we're not hispanic in any way...
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• She was 2 but she didn't understand what she was actually doing, just memorized the numbers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My DD is 22 months and counts 1-10 in English and Spanish and she IS 1/2 Mexican :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• 3 and he knew what he was doing.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• 1-10 with no mistakes? 3yo. But he still occsionally makes a mistake and misses a number. At 4 (almost 5) he can count to 20, sometimes perfectly, sometimes not. But he has fun learning and we don't put pressure on him. Even if he misses a number we still praise him for the "good counting".
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Oh did you mean count AND actually comprehending the counting? Not just memorizing the numbers? It was probably closer to 4 years old before he understood what the numbers meant. Now at 4 almost 5 he understands simple addition and subtraction but it helps if he can actually see the items (example: showing him 2 matchbox cars and asking “if we add one more car how many will we have?”)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• We did 1-2-buckle my shoe, etc etc.. When they were babies, then they would sing it with me, and then started counting everything in site by the time they were 2. They would get to about 13 and then get mixed up and start over,lol... We just had fun with it, and now they are both doing really well in school.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i'm OP and my son is 2.5 and can count to 10 but when he's actually trying to count things he really just points around at stuff and goes "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10". lol. so i know it's more just memorization than actually knowing them.

he can't count in spanish but for some reason the only number he can recognize is 8 and he says ocho not eight. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My son isn't yet 3 and counts to 10 - he doesn't just say the numbers, he counts objects, and does it right. He's been doing it since before he was 2.5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My DD is almost 4 and can count to 20. The problem I am having is that when you place some things in front of her and ask her to count she sometimes stops at the right #, and sometimes doesn't! But we're working on it!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2010