Transition to crib

My almost four month old had a terrible time with reflux early on, to the point she could only sleep almost completely upright either in the swing or the carseat. Now that it is resolving, we are trying to transition her back to the crib more regularly, but are finding that she is having trouble soothing herself in it when she wakes up (only sleeps about an hour, then wakes up). She didn't seem to have this problem in the carseat/swing but I know we should try to transition out of it sooner than later. Any suggestions?

muptgirl23

Asked by muptgirl23 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when i moved my kids from the bassinet to the crib i would first put them in the crib for naps and once they were fine with that then i started trying to do it at night.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Thanks, she actually does do pretty good in it for naps (though she has always been a short napper). It's just the nightime that seems to be tough. Perhaps I just need to be patient and stick with it?
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It is scary for babies to be in an open space at night alone. The swing makes them feel like they are being held close so they sleep better. If you want to use a crib then you should try to make it feel safe, or use a bassinett which is smaller and not so vast.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My step-sisters' daughter had a cleft-palate that caused her to have to sit up right or she would choke. She slept in a bassinet up until she was probablly six months old. Once she finally felt comfortable enough to put her back in the crib she has problems getting her to sleep as well, the only solution she could find was to wrap her tightly so that she felt she was being held and after that she began sleeping all through the night. So much it made me jealous because my daughter refused to sleep during the night and they are only a week apart.
    lexinicole

Answer by lexinicole at 11:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If I go to a bassinet, how long can she stay in this and still have it be safe? She's currently about 12 pounds, and is already able to roll back to stomach and is VERY close to going stomach to back. Is there any concern about her rolling and suffocating in a bassinet or delaying her development in any way?
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010