How can someone be a religious person and object to this?

My brother in law is very upset about the health care bill, his main beef is that why should he give to the poor so they too could have health insurance? why should the lifestyle he is use to living change because of this?
I thought that giving to the needy was part of Jesus teachings, this is a man who belongs to a prayer group and attends church on a regular basis. Isn't this a bit hypocritical? This me me atitude really astounded me coming from a man who considers himself one with God.
I understand there is a lot of cons to the health care bill, but this is one of the aspects I agree with.

Asked by older at 11:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I think that you are 100% right. It is actually sad that we need to enforce such a bill just for people to be taken care of. My family pays taxes and have had to food stamps and gov. insurance. If you have been in that position before than you understand how hard it is. I would feel great about helping others in that situation. I hope that I have in some way already. As a Christian I LOOK for ways to help people. So if the government wants to "make" me than have at it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Well, I disagree with the bill for many, many reasons, but not for that one. We do have a responsibility to help those less fortunate, however, we should not keep those people down and dependent on someone else, it is our job to give them a hand up and help them through tough times. Not to give people a hand out and keep them dependent on the one giving the hand out. In all honesty, that is more akin to slavery. It's like saying "here, I'll help you, but in return you must serve under me." That is what our current welfare has turned into, I can imagine health care, as this bill is written, will be the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• GIVING to the needy is a good Christian ideal, being forced to give all your money to the government is not a good Christian ideal. You should really learn the difference. This bill is not helping the needy. If anything it's putting more of the needy into bankruptcy as more and more people will lose their jobs and homes when their employers can't afford to pay them anymore. What GOOD Christian wants to put thousands more people out of work and on the streets? Your brother in law has the right idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Giving to the needy by requirement isn't giving to the needy. The health care bill has about a million other things for him to be mad about; like the fact that the bible says that we need to take care of our elderly and this bill basically takes everything away from them and gives it to the poor. On a purely religious standpoint this bill contradicts everything Christians believe. Also just because you belong to a prayer group and go to church doesn't mean you're perfect. In fact it means the opposite, you're broken and need help not an all perfect person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I couldn't agree more with pp. Well said ladies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• hubby has a co-worker that feel sthe same way...I do not understand it either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I'm more mystified by the fact that at first, the Republicans were bitching and whining about all those "poor people" who lost their jobs thanks to Dubya's mismanagement for 8 years, and how Obama didn't just wave his magic wand and made it all disappear, but now that he IS trying to help them, all of a sudden those "poor people" turned into lazy slobs looking for a handout... Can't win.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• He's not trying to help them, he's helping the drug companies and insurance companies by tripling their business and getting the government to help subsidize their profits. The people are going to end up losing jobs. He's HURTING them, not helping them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Oh, geez. I will NEVER understand why people like the idea of beaing forced into spending a person's hard earned money. Shouldn't it be up to the "earner" where they would like to donate?? Ridiculous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• *being*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2010