Why co-sleep? Why not?

I am preg with my first and want some personal opinions for co-sleeping and for independent sleeping. If you co-slept, how long? Were you nursing? Did you use anything to put in your bed, or just baby right there, or one of the things that connects to the side of your bed?

Please, no debates! I just want some info to help us decide what to do with our little one! THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Most people don't co-sleep b/c they don't want to be stuck with a two year old who refuses to sleep in her own room/bed. Trust me, when you can put your baby down to bed in her own crib at 7pm and have the whole rest of the night to clean, cook, do what needs to be done, it is an amazing and freeing feeling! Most co-sleepers have to go to bed at the exact same time as their baby (their baby needs to sleep right next to them at all times) and they get no break away. I co-slept for two months and once I had the freedom of putting her down in her own crib to sleep, it was like a whole new world for me!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• We co slept until the child decided on their own. We would every once in while try the crib. If worked that night great if not oh well. As we had more the children would co sleep among themselves. Many a night we would find one pf the older ones in the crib or in each others beds. It still happens today. But the baby stayed with us until about a year. It's just easier to nurse at night. Some times they would start out in the crib or bassinet. then later in the night Either my husband or I would get the baby. If I got them all I had to do was nudge DH and say "baby in bed". He would then roll over closer to his side.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Ours didn't co-sleep, I did nurse them at night in bed with me when they were in our room as infants, but then I put them right back in their crib. I felt we all slept better in our own space. I loved the snuggling and closeness but in order for me to function I had to have some sleep. I sleep really light anyway, with a baby right next to me I would wake up unrested, stiff, and feeling like I was up all night. Do what feels right to you, but IMO co-sleeping isn't good for anyone in the long run.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• And no I didn't have to go to sleep at the same as the baby. Most nights I could put them in the bed with pillows and such around them. Or nurse them and get back up. We also during this time Took out the bed frame so the bed was closer to the ground. As they would get older they would ask can I sleep with you? The answer was always yes,. They were perfectly happy snuggling into our bed knowing that later we would be there.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Why not? Because co-sleeping causes infant deaths.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I kept mine in a bassinett right next to my bed for a few months. It made night-time nursing easier. I was afraid to co-sleep with the baby in my bed because of all the horror stories of suffocating babies. When I did move them to their own bed in their own room I think we all slept better. The whole time they were in my room I was hypersensitive to every little sound they made and I didn't sleep well even when they did. I also didn't feel so tied to my bed after they were in their own room - when they were in my room I was always afraid I'd wake them just by getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, so I'd lay there in missery until they woke up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• We didn't co-sleep on purpose or even from the start. DS got croup at 9 months and after two days of taking care of him by myself and two nights of holding him upright in the rocking chair so he could breath easier, I laid him down beside me and that is how it started. He was 3 years old before we got him in his own bed and even then he still came into our room. He is 4 now and sometimes still comes in our room. Our baby doesn't sleep through the night all the time either. It is exhausting.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i think it's a very personal decision and should be whatever works for you :) personally, we didn't co-sleep. my son slept in a bassinet beside our bed and then had a crib in his own room. we didn't because we were just too afraid we'd roll over him.

i really like this researcher/supporter of co-sleeping though.
    http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/

a big CON to us not co-sleeping was i'm sure we got less sleep that way because he was nursing very frequently!!! i would nurse him in a rocking chair though for the first few months because, like i said, i was always too afraid i'd roll over him. just a fear i had. also our bed wasn't very big
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• that link talks about the safety of co-sleeping for those who argue that it's dangerous btw.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Yes I co slept with all 3 of my children, co-sleeping for us started with my oldest who at first was breast feeding and then had breathing problems, we wanted to be able to see his chest and the doctor suggest that infants who slept next to their mothers actually would breathe better (similar to hearing the heartbeat) he stayed in our bed till age 2 got his own room and bed when we moved and would only sleep in my bed when DH worked nights.

My second baby was BF'd and stayed in our bed till age 3 when I was pregnant with #3 and he said he was tired of the baby kicking him. Baby # 3 is now 5 y/o was BF'd and sleeps in my bed 2-3 nights per week because i allow it, because i like having my baby cuddle with me and hearing the good morning mommy and a big hug before i even pull the covers back.

We didnt use any of the things made for the bed our kids slept between us, and went to bed w/o us. Dh and I have no regrts.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2010