Need advice about moving into a twin bed, here's what happened....(please help!) (kinda long)

So during his nap, i locked him in his room, because i am in the room right nowside his door anyway, and occasionaly i would just peek under his door to see what he was up to. Well, he only knocked to get out once, cried for like 2 seconds, and then he played with himself in his room, and eventually fell asleep on the floor next to his new big boy bed. Last night (we left the door unlocked we will NOT lock it at night while we are sleeping) he never tried to get out of his room (probably because he THOUGHT the door was locked) but instead he screamed bloody murder for "mommy and daddy" So we would go comfort him becase he is in a new situation, but it didnt help he would just keep screaming. I used the CIO method when he was little, but not sure it can be applied in this sort of situation. So of course my hubby slept on the floor next to him until he fell asleep adn then left the room, but when....to be cont.

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we have gone through some really odd sleep issues with our 2 yo twins. the last time my son was waking up screaming like that he actually was teething, his molars, and ended having a burst eardrum! so he was probably in pain. we tend to not let the twins cio, we would rather deal with 1 awake than 2 :) my twins have a childproof door knob, so they are essentially locked in their room.
    i use a cd player that plays stories for them at night. my son actually wakes up in the middle of the night and turns it on, and plays it full volume! usually his sister doesn't wake up, but we still have to go turn it down. anyhow, your son might lay down and listen to a story.
    does he have fun bedding? it seems like that could help.
    good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My son woke up in the middle of the night, he just started screaming bloody murder again cuz dad wasn’t there.He has 2 night lights in his room, no toys just stuffed animals. I NEED advice on what to do or how to handle this, because I have NO CLUE. Thanks.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Let him scream.... It's an unfortunate situation but your alternative to letting him cio is to cuddle him and lay with him forever pretty much. Our son has fallen into a similar routine and it sucks. My husband gets him every night after we attempt to let him fall back to sleep and then he sleeps with daddy until morning. It's awful. We'll be starting to keep him in his own room too... You can always tell him that you and daddy are just in the next room sleeping and if he needs you he can come and get you... when he comes in your room take him back to his room and put him back to bed. It can be exhausting but after some time he'll get it.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 11:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My DD is the same age. She when she went into her bed she did tale books and toys with her. Honestly I would lay her down give her kisses and tell her bye-bye night night and start to walk out. She wouls start to cry and I tell her 'no, no crying we are sleeping.' She will sop and then I will leave. before I close the door I tell her again' no crying-night night' If she fuses after I close the door I tell her again. This works 9 times out of 10 BUT she has awesome communication skills. SHe listens understands and speaks very clearly therefore I KNOW she understands.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2010