How to get out the urine smell?!?! HELP??

I have a lab that pee'd on the carpet in my basement. I have a bissel carpet cleaner that I have used to go over the carpet in that room twice already and the smell is still overpowering. Of course a lab is a big dog so it's a lot of urine! So aside from cleaning it 20 more times with the carpet cleaner, any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out??

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 11:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Walmart sells a cleaner called Out! It is in the pet care aisle. You can use it in your carpet cleaner. It removes the stain & the smell. I pre-treat the stains first then add to the carpet cleaner with the regular shampoo.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would try covering the area with Baking soda and letting it sit (maybe over night). Come back and wet it down with vinegar. Then use your carpet cleaner to suck out all that. After it dries once, use regular carpet cleaning solution over the whole area.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• this recipe is a little different than mine, but still uses baking soda and vinegar to neutralize the urine smell....

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm#Recipe0

Good Luck!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It will never come out with regular detergents or anything else you buy at the grocery store. There is an enzyme that will get rid of the odor, but you either have to buy it from a carpet cleaning supplier, or call a professional carpet cleaner to do it.

My DH worked as a carpet restoration technician for years, so I know about this stuff :P
    Anonymous

• OdorMute. It's an enzyme powder you mix with warm water that eliminates organic smells. It will even remove skunk odor. You can put it right in your carpet shampooer. I poured it in my yard to get rid of the dog pee smell and it worked brilliantly. I got mine from amazon.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2010