Okay- so this kid WILL NOT EAT ANYTHING!

My DD is 27 months and we allowed her to be picky until she was old enough to understand ultimatums.At about 20 months or so we started the 3 bite rule as we do for our 5 year old son.Eat everything on your plate (3 bites each)and you can have more of whatever you want. We have not given in on this.She will STILL only eat starch and chicken. peas sometimes and carrots sometimes. This child is tiny! I am so afraid she is going to be malnourished or way underweight instead of slightly underweight if we keep this up. I don't want her to be picky but I sure don't want her to starve! Example: yesterday she ate:
breakfast: cheerios and milk (whole)
lunch 3 bites apples and 2 bites od chicken nuggets refused the grn beans milk (whole)
snack peach yogurt-water
dinner 3 bites of lo main refused chicken and broccoli-juice
Today so far breakfast 3 strawberries refused the quiche
lunc: 3 bites of mac & chz refused peas and carrots

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's eating better than both of mine did when they went through their picky phases. My guy didn't really "get" the dinner rules until he was 4 or so. Now he eats very well-rounded healthy meals (nearly 6). If you're really worried about her give her a little polyvisol once a day and let her have a Pediasure at one of her snack times.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• she won't starve
    keep up what you are doing, she will eat when she is hungry enough
    And trust me, my son eats dinner MAYBE 2 nights a week... but he eats what is for dinner or he doesn't eat...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• She wont starve. Kids that age have very tiny stomachs to begin with. I would just keep offering her meals & snacks. She will eat it or not. Eventually she will be hungry enough to eat what you give her.
    Anonymous

• We have always had set times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They eat when we eat, or they don't eat. No ultimatums, no whining, crying allowed. They don't get up until they eat, we don't over fill their plate so there's no reason not to eat what they have.
    I have been like that with them since they started eating at the table with us, and now they eat what they take and no complaints. They are all healthy, thin boys, don't over eat etc.. I don't believe in letting them decide if they want to join us at the table, I'm the parent, they do what I say and no questions..... May sound strict, but it works for us.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I just worry because she is is so small. 23 pounds! 4 percent in weight and 38 in height. She looks like a child from the feed the hungry add with her shirt off lol.
    Anonymous

• eat now or don't eat ultimatum.
    Anonymous

• Children at this age are no longer growing rapidly and their need for calories diminishes tremendously. Like to 400-500 calories a day.

By forcing a certain number of bites, you are inadvertently doing two things: telling her that her body is not capable of knowing when its hungry or full, and that you are in control of her. Both of those will backfire, but I suspect you're intelligent enough to see why.

If you have foods in your house that are inappropriate (because they're 200 calories per serving and can't take up half her day's calories safely) remove them entirely. When there is nothing in your home except completely 'acceptable' foods for her to eat, give up control over her diet. Make your family meals and leave her to eat or not eat as her appetite dictates.

When dinner is over, put her food in the fridge for her to eat later, if she gets hungry. She won't starve. Don't turn this into a war, you'll both lose.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If left to her own accord she would eat nothing but mashed potatoes (made with red pot. and skim milk) what ever pasta we are having or rice. Am I to remove rice pasta and otatoes from the house?
    Anonymous