Acupuncture...

Can acupuncture help with anger management? I ask because I've been on anti-depressants, bipolar meds, mood stabilizers, and NOTHING works. So, I was thinking of trying a more homeopathic approach. I know I can google it, which I will, but I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with acupuncture and what was the outcome? Good, bad or otherwise? Thanks for the help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Health

• no they can't. It's all bull crap and don't help at all. It's all in the mind.
    Anonymous

• I did it around the outside of my ears & I loved it! It was very relaxing & I want to do it again some time, I'm actually looking into it now.I did it with relaxing music in the backround, & you do need a person who knows what he/she is doing of coarse as well.They're were 5 tiny; a little long needles' poking out of each ear , I just layed back and closed my eyes, the time flew by & I didn't want to stop.It can help to quit smoking too.For me it helped to decrease my anxiety.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i think it depends on the source of your anger. i swear with this pregnancy came a ton of uncharacteristic anger for me...i really think it has something to do with the hormones. my point is, if there is a chemical imbalance contributing to your anger, then why wouldn't acupuncture be helpful? it is to restore balance in the body isn't it? i would also look into eating a clean diet...no processed foods mainly. think about the growth hormones given to cows, how could that not effect us when we drink the milk or eat the beef? have you been seeing a therapist? that probably wouldn't hurt...not a psychiatrist whose focus would be on medication, but a psychologist. there are other groups on cafe mom to explore as well. i know i have read moms commenting on using non pharmaceuticals to help with depression.
    i wish you the best of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would suggest looking up Byron Katie and The Work. Byron Katie (whose loving parents really did name her Byron, not kidding) was a VERY angry woman for many years... her story is interesting and her technique is extremely effective --even if the reason for the anger is hormonal or a shortage of accupuncture or whatever...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I get acupuncture done for my Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, and IBS. It has proven VERY helpful to me. Whoever said it's all in your head is an idiot. Western medicine is NOT the only medicine out there. I find it very relaxing and helpful. My insurance even allows me to go to a massage therapist and chiropractor to help with my pain. I have found that using these "alternative" treatments has decreased the amount of medications I need to take for pain.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I have been to a therapist and a psychiatrist. The talking did help, but I don't think it got to the root of it. The therapist on the other hand had me answer a 10 question survey and determined I am bipolar. It wasn't until after 3 of the major medications failed, that should have worked on the bipolar, did they decide "oh, you have some sort of mood disorder, we're not sure what though." I don't want a pill to fix it, I want to find the problem, deal with it and move on. I agree that it's not all in the mind either. But, that is that person's opinion I suppose. But, thank you again for all the good tips! Happy Tuesday!
    Anonymous